General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What carb ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:02 PM
bemyself
Unregistered
Question What carb ?

Hi All,

I got a carburetor assembly from local junkyard and the seller said it came from accord. I searched to accord manual from year 89 and below, but did not get exact type as mine, similar but not same. Especially there are 2 ports of throttle controller and one component that I have no idea what it is (red circle at 2nd pic). From accord manual it is "air vent cut-off diaphragm" but mine has something like an electronic device.
Can someone help to identify this carb ? vacuum diagram might help me a lot.
Appreciate of any help and sorry for my bad english...

What carb ?-carb_top.jpg What carb ?-carb_left.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by bemyself; 10-17-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
bemyself
Unregistered

another question, since I don't have thermovalve and control box in my engine bay, how should I do with the fast idle unloader, choke opener and carb thermovalve connection ?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why are you going with a junkyard carb? If you have to why not get the correct one. Honda carbs were pretty easy to service on the car and they used to sell replair kits to do it that way but that was a long time ago. I would think you could order the parts. I would not recommend using a carb out of a junk yard.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:12 AM
bemyself
Unregistered

Actually I bought this carb for upgrade from my old carb (1.5 l). The intake manifold diameter is match to venturi diameter of this carb. This carb is not refurbished and it is in very good condition.
I need to know how to connect the electronic device (red circle above) which I guess it is solenoid valve and the port below it (thermovalve ??).
Can I just connect it to ignition ON and the port to air filter intake ?

Thanks

Last edited by bemyself; 10-18-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
bemyself
Unregistered

OK, I figure it out that the electronic device is air vent solenoid valve.It will pass the fuel vapor in float chamber through the port below it when engine is off. It is safe to connect together with valve cover vent through T fitting to air intake pipe or catch can.

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It has been long time since seeing a Honda Carb setup but I think you will need the carbon canister that matches your carb and the lines. I do remember that when the canister failed the engine would run rich and be hard starting. I mention that as that may be a trait you encounter if your system is not correctly updated.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
bemyself
Unregistered

Yup, you are right Chris. I encounter hard start when hot. Some fuel drop into secondary venturi when ignition ON before crank even the float level is normal. I am thinking of the air vent of float chamber does not setup correctly so the fuel vapor will give excess pressure to chamber and flooding into venturi. I will run the vent direct to air filter intake rather than canister can.