General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What Speen Sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Default What Speen Sensors ?

Hi all,

How many speed sensors does a 91 accord have? My speedometer sometimes goes to zero when Im driving over 80kms or 100kms and then goes up and down for a few minutes and then sometimes it goes back to normal or the sport light blinks instead.

A friend of mine told me I need a new speed sensor but when I went to Honda then said there is more than 1 speed sensor - Im confused.

Which one do I need for this problem?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: What Speen Sensors ?

There are some transmission shaft speed sensors. However if you ask for the Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS, the parts man should know what you need. They are readily available online and from ebay at very reasonable prices, < $30. Last I checked the OEM VSS was over $100.

good luck

Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
RangerTeam6
Unregistered

I'm having the exact same issue with my Car. I called a friend of mine who frequents many honda forums, some of them more obscure, and he told me that just assuming that the Speed Sensor is the cause is a faulty line of reasoning. He said that it could be the cable not making complete contact inside the Transmission, he said that the cable could also have its lubrication gumming up as the issue seems more prevalent when the car is cold, VS if I let the car sit and idle for 20-30 minutes it seems to work okay, for the most part. But I do get random fluxuations on the speedometer, sometimes it reads what I believe is accurately, other times it flips all over the place, and then when it dies completely my sports light does come on. I don't want to start throwing parts at it to try and fix it, but I'm not quite sure how to isolate what part exactly it could be. Anyone know of a test for the speedo sensor or cable?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Check the ECU and TCU code. There is a specific code for VSS fault (17 for ECU and 4? for TCU). If that code is present, then VSS is almost certain. This part is a frequent fault in virtually all Honda and Acuras.

good luck

Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
RangerTeam6
Unregistered

So I just need to find someone with a Honda Code Reader and have them remotely diagnose the issue to verify before I replace? And if the cable is messed up, Can the ECU relay that information or is it going to default to the VSS failure?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
RangerTeam6
Unregistered

I see a few different parts on ebay for the VSS

VSS Control

OR we have

OEM VSS

They look very very different, and the first is $13+ Shipping, the Second is $40+ Shipping.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM

91 Accord's don't have cables so your friend's guess is not right. It is most likely your VSS. If that doesn'r fix it then most likely your speedo is toast. ECU / TCU would be a very remote possibilty for the problems.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

The VSS is the electrical sensor only, and OEM VSS hass same part, but also includes another part that provides a pressure signal to the power steering which is a "speed signal" to reduce power steering boost w/ increased vehicle speed. You only need the VSS.

Download a 90-93 manual from online manual links under DIY section. This will explain remaining questions.

good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Hi !!

The Honda dealer said there is a VSS for the Speedmeter and a VSS for the transmission so he asked me to tell him which one I needed and thats where I was lost because I dont know which one I should buy...the speedmeter one is 150 and the tranny one is around 230 - just the part...

Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM

Two words .. junk yard. The VSS for the speedo and the power steering are and "all in one" unit.