General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this thing on the Distributor and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Question What is this thing on the Distributor and what does it do?

This is from a 1992 Honda Accord EX Wagon, 2.2l, 4 cyl. F22A6 engine. Oil is collecting/dripping from it (the thing circled in yellow). I've replaced the o-ring and the distributor cap (which was cracked) and it's still leaking. I've also replaced the valve cover gasket. Could that part be the source of the leak?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No there is a drain path from the distributor interior. The oring seals oil from leaking out the interface between distributor face and cylinder head. However, there is an internal shaft seal that prevents oil getting by into the distributor. Unfortunately, they age and wear out allowing oil into the distributor. It doesn't seem to cause problems but does drain onto the starter and causes an eyesore.

The shaft seal can be replaced, but it's a fairly tricky job, and I've had spotty results w/ the replacement seals. They are tiny and easy to damage when seating in the seal pocket. I have a pdf copy of repair procedure that I will email. Send your email address by PM if you're interested and I'll forward.

good luck

Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 AM

Thank you!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Thumbs up Update!

I finally got my NOK BH3888E delivered from US (bought it off eBay) and replaced the one in the distributor. It was an easy job. The old seal slipped off the groove and was sitting down the shaft. No more leaks now but there's something else though. I found bits of a very thin metal inside the distributor, and a larger one hanging from what I suspect to be a bearing. These have some yellow, gold and black lines printed on one side, like bar codes or printed circuitry. What's that from and what does it do? Once I took the rotor assembly out (the part held by those 3 screws) I noticed that the shaft moved up and down easily. Isn't it supposed to be held down by a bearing?

Again, thank you. For the time being I stopped the leak.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My recollection is the bearing is contained in the upper plate of the distributor. Lower end has a bushing.

I have no idea what small metal parts could be.

good luck