General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for a clutch replacement in a 90-93 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Default What's a fair price for a clutch replacement in a 90-93 Accord?

I have this old 1990 Accord DX with about 220k miles on it. It's beat to heck but is in great shape mechanically, apart from needing it's original(!) clutch replaced, new axles, and new front brake rotors (again original!).

I've replaced one other FWD clutch (on a much simpler car) in my lifetime, and hated it (to put it mildly). Plus, my current work schedule and not having access to a garage space for more than a day kind of prohibits me having the time to do this job myself, even with my trusty Haynes manual. I already have all the parts.

So, what's the hours/normal price range of this job? I'm going to start calling around tommorrow and find out what the repair places say, but I'd like some idea on these cars. Since the axles need to come off anyway, I'll probably have the shop replace those too. I'm sure I can point out that there's no extra labor involved in pulling 2 new axles from their boxes and installing them in place of the already removed old ones....

The last time I had a FWD clutch replaced, it was on a Nissan Sentra SE-R and that cost me about $550 with a flywheel resurface. That would be great, but maybe the Accord is a bit more complicated.

I'm sure the labor prices vary around the country.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM

At my shop it would run your about $530-$540 with install calling for 5.8 hours at $70 dollars an hour. Add another 70$ for flywheel resurfacing.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

$ 540 sounds a bit cheap ,, assuming you use a quality clutch kit ..

$ 70 to resurface the flywheel is way too much , 40 dollars max should do it .
make sure to replace the rear main seal while tranny is off, seal is around 17-20 dollars,,( use a factory Honda seal ) shop should replace it free of charge , axles they should do free as well