General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wheel bearing or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM

yes, the video is taken behind the axle and looking towards the front of the car. I was pulling around the inner joints (closest to the center of the car). How would I determine whether it's the CV joint or extension shaft bearing? I still can't put a dot to where this extension shaft bearing is from all the diagrams I've looked at.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I looked at the parts diagram and there is no extension shaft.

Video is confusing. If you're behind driver's side and pushing, you should be pushing on outboard CV joint. Were you pushing on inner CV joint of pax side?

good luck

Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM

First joint i pull down on is the passenger joint closest to center of car (inner, outer, outboard, inboard confuse me lol). I then moved to driver side and there was not as much play. Weirdly, I tried it again this morning and there was no play at all. My mind is going crazy as nothing about this situation has been straightforward. It seems like I'm hearing the sound from the rear left when I drive. Maybe what I'll do is replace the rear left wheel bearing (I have a Timken bearing sitting around lol) and see if it will go away. If not, it's either a front wheel bearing or something where the axles meet the transmission. Is there a bearing or bushing there? The CV joints look good, no leaks or cracks or anything. I'll get under the car again tomorrow to see whether or not I have play. I've read somewhere that there will always be a little play in certain directions. The first time I tried it, I did try pulling in different directions, and I only seemed to get it to move up and down. Today, none....arrrghhhh

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by joshcolorado
I also put my stethoscope on the left knuckle and heard grinding noises (I did this when the clicking sound was gone).
Putting it up on jackstands and having a helper put the car in gear to get both wheels spinning 30mph or so is the best way to find a bad bearing. Put your stethoscope on the right knuckle too and compare the sound it makes to the left side. A good wheel bearing will have a very low volume swishing/bearing rotation noise. A bad bearing will be obvious and loud.