General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Window motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Default Window motor replacement

Didn't see it in the DIY section. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to replace the front passenger window motor and regulator? It is a 94 Sedan, Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Its pretty easy.

You should just download the 94 shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. It gives detailed instructions with pics that should clear up the process.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the link. The manual for replacing the regulator starts with " lower the window fully" Doh! The regulator is not moving, which is why I am replacing it. I stopped there. Has anyone here actually done it themselves and can tell me how to do it?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

I did replace my regulator using those instructions. You need to lower the window to remove the channel guide cover and access those 4 screws.

Since your regulator is not working, you will have to figure out how to lower the window another way. You may be able to unbolt the motor and allow the window to lower that way.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM

You didn't say why you need a new motor? If it is stuck, that could be a short, bad connector or lockout switch? Was the motor going bad with noise, grinding or binding? A lot of Accords just have slow windows. fuses Ok? Wiring harness' OK ?

Disconnect battery. There are a few screws, one near the rear view mirror, one in the little pit on the armrest and...one other behind the inside door handle. Once you get these loose, pry off the lower panel at the bottom, pops off. Once it comes loose, handle it carefully, there are connectors that you need to unplug. Get a stool or someway to hold the panel while you take the wires loose.

Once you get to the plastic cover, tear it out. You will see the window mechanism. This is tough because you have to get your hands inside the door through the small openings.

You'll see bolts that hold in the motor. You may have to "play" around trying to get the window to move. I haven't had that situation, but mechanics have told me to hit the motor with a hammer...what? Check all wires. I have had to scrape insulation off the wires to a stuck window and run 12v directly, you can use a spare battery. I heard about a guy that used a 12v drill battery with speaker wire. There are two wires out of the motor, one is NOT ground. They both go to the motor. One way +/-, window up, -/+ window goes down.

I wish you luck, take your time, use good light, keep working at it. Come back and let us know how it went.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 AM

I ended up just taking a shot at it yesterday and it worked out good. After removing the door panel, I un bolted the glass, with the small little channel clamp thing on the bottom that bolts to the regulator. I raised the glass to the closed position and wedged it there. Taking out the old regulator and motor was pretty straight forward- 3 bolts on the regulator body and 4 on the regulator rail( 2 at top and bottom) With it unbolted and the switch wire disconnected it came out easily and the new one went in just the same in reverse order. Turns out that the new one was already in just the right position to allow access to the 2 bolts that mount the glass to the regulator, so all I had to do was lower the glass down until the bolt holes lined up and install those 2 bolts. The instructions made it sound more involved than it was. thanks for the help and encouragement.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Ah-right, good job!