General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Default Window Problem

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and of course have an issue that I need some help on.

My wife was driving our 2002 Accord EX 4 door and gave me a call concerning the driver side window. Some history on the window, we have had issues with the window not working off and on. For about the last 2 months it hasn't worked at all. Then on Sunday, I gave it a try and it it was working since. Then today my wife was driving and noticed the window was open a crack. She tried to roll it up and it didn't work. She tried moving it down and it worked, however part way down there was a popping noise and what sounded like metal dropping. She was then able to move the window back up manually, however she said it was stubborn (she also couldn't get it all the way up). As she was driving she noticed the window was slowly inching down.

I haven't had the chance to look at it, but gave my friend a call who has a 2000 civic. He said that it sounds as though the window came off the track and the piece of metal falling may have been a tab on the track that keeps the window from rolling down too far. We plan on taking the door panel off this weekend to see if this is the case. He said that the reason it didn't work before may of been due to dirt/resistance on the track that prevented it from moving. Does this sound like it could be the problem?

What I was wondering is if anyone has any links to any guides for a 2002 accord with directions on removing the door panel.

I found the threads below for a 2000 and 2001, would these apply?

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...+panel+removal

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...+panel+removal

I have a haynes manual, but it covers a wide variety of years so I wanted to see if I could find anything more specific.

Thanks for your help in advance. We love the accord, and it hasn't given us any problems (knocks on wood), except for minor problems like this.

Last edited by Gabba; 12-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Your 2002 should be pretty much identical to 2000 & 2001.

Also look for the thread about on-line manuals over in the DIY section. I sorta remember that the 1998-2002 manual has to be burned to a CD before it becomes readable?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Your 2002 should be pretty much identical to 2000 & 2001.

Also look for the thread about on-line manuals over in the DIY section. I sorta remember that the 1998-2002 manual has to be burned to a CD before it becomes readable?
Thanks for your help!

I found this link if any 2002 Accord EX owners want help with the door panel removal, it has step by step instructions w/ pictures:

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...ront_rear.html

After I got home last night I was able to take a look at the window and it is pretty easy to move it up and down manually. So I am thinking that the window is off the track or the window came off the regulator. Does anyone have any other ideas? I am hoping that the regulator isn't broken.

I am taking the door panel off tonight when I get home and will give an update over the weekend of what I find.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM

After removing the door panel (which was pretty easy per the various instructions that I found online) and examining the window regulator, it was pretty easy to tell it needed to be replaced. The wire had snapped. I purchased an aftermarket part for $60 from a local automotive store with a lifetime warranty.

The passenger side hasn't worked for the last month and we determined it was due to a faulty motor. We replaced it as well. This was slightly harder since the window was stuck in the up position and we couldn't move it down to access the bolts that attached it to the regulator. We could of cut the cable, but we wanted to remove the regulator in tact so that we ould make sure we were correct in our diagnosis.

Total cost was $130 for both windows and about 2 hrs 45 minutes in time (due to the passenger side window).

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.