General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window problem - 97 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
PaulVidal
Unregistered
Default Window problem - 97 Accord EX

Hello Everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem with my 1997 Honda Accord EX 4DR, - the drivers side window will not roll up at all! In Florida, this can put you in daily conflict with the elements, with generally bad results. I have done a bit of reading, and I can’t seem to find an identical problem – I could really use the advice of some smart people here.

I submit the following specifics of my problem:

[ul][*]
All the windows have always rolled up very slow and sometimes stop, usually in the mornings when it is cold. This was especially the case with the drivers window[/align][*]
The window just didn’t roll up about a week ago during mid-day – and has been the same every since, while every other window works fine.[/align][*]
When I move the drivers switch down, I can hear the door “click” to the stops, and notice a dimming of the lights consistent with any other window switch movement. When I press up, there is neither dimming nor noise inside.[/align][*]
I popped off the interior panel to take a look, removed and re-seated the four-window switch, and still have the same results.[/align][/ul]

I might be a bit less savvy than the average poster here, but I really want to learn this car, and try and fix this problem on my own. At very least, I would like to manually raise the window, something I was unable to do. Any advice or troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated – I am very thankful that good people out there are willing to take their time to help.

Sincerely,
Paul

Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Window problem - 97 Accord EX

Sounds like either a bad motor or a bad switch. If you've got a manual find out which two wires to jumper to make it go up, if it goes up with the jumper then it's just a bad switch, if it doesn't then it's probably the motor... To get the other windows up more quickly try lubing the track, you can also replace those tracks (about $70.00 each) and I'm told that helps a great deal, the motor from 1aauto.com is like $65.00 shipped, here's a great resource/post topics to look through and there is also a how to on it

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/sea...p;criteria=AND

Old 01-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Here's the how to that I wrote after doing mine (94 accord ex)

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/How...m_16927/tm.htm

Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
PaulVidal
Unregistered

Sir Nasty,

Thanks for the great advice! I got a hold of a manual, ran a jumper, and the window indeed went up! (The circuit involved sliced copper wire and some jumper cables attached to my car battery - quite a site). Quite a bit better than being charged outrageous amounts at a mechanic for a motor/regulator I would not need.

I am going to search the internet for a master power window switch, since I have established that as my problem. I am in debt to you, and I appreciate all your help in the matter. Sadly, I broke the rod to the latch assembly in the door when I was putting it back together (a freak accident that involved a falling box - don't ask). I now have a new and potentially more expensive problem to fix, but at least I have beer and a funny story to tell about it.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM

unless you broke the rod inside the door itself you're probably not in that bad of shape at all.... if it's something in the handle assembly just take the assembly into a dealership and point at what's broken, I'm sure you can get whatever it is for pretty cheap...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM

To help the slow window up syndrom, lube the guides frequently! I use spray silicone, it does the job!