General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

windshield defrost

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Default windshield defrost

I just acquired a 1991 EX. My son left for AF basic and gave me the car so I can save some cash on gas. The windshield defrost does not blow any air. The fan works and blows any other setting. When I switch to defrost the air is diverted but does not blow out the vents at the windshield. I suspect an air flap may be the problem. How do I access the specific ducting for the defrost?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

This has a "****" and not push buttons.....correct? Yes I'm getting old.

If so there is a cable that "moves" the levers/doors. Be sure that everything is "moving" on the outside of the "case". The attached, for reference, is from the manual where you can adjust the "leakage" on the defrost.....90 model from the UK so it might not be the same as yours.

Attached Thumbnails windshield defrost-4th-gen-defrost-adjust.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Push button not a ****. All vacuum driven. I bought a Haynes manual to guide me but there really isn't anything in there that would guide me to the location of the flappers. I just don't wanna tear apart the dash if I have to access it through the blower housing under the hood and vice versa. My younger son has a 93 that is doing the same thing so when I get one fixed I will be an expert. The diagram does help because it will help me think it out.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, you have the buttons.

Then we need to check the mode/function motor and or the heater unit. On my 95, different gen just giving experience, the "levers" on the motor would bind every now and then. I had to lube them to get them going.

Attached Thumbnails windshield defrost-4th-gen-function-motor-mode-motor.jpg   windshield defrost-4th-gen-function-switch-mode-switch.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks Poorman! I will dig into it.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Poorman

I removed the instrument cluster covering to gain access to the ducting. I think I need to remove the entire dash to get to the defrost ducting. Something is keeping the door/flapper from opening and allowing the air to flow to the defrost ducts at the windshield. The main door that diverts air to the dash vents operates as it should. Is there a secondary diverter that blocks or allows air to flow to the defrost outlets? I can't see or find anything from the current state of teardown. I think I need to go deeper. My Haynes manual doesn't cover this part of the air system.

Also off topic, Thank you for your service to our great nation. What branch of the military are you in? I have one son who just started his AF Basic training and one son who is a delayed entry for AF (still in HS). Couldn't be prouder of both of them for their commitment and desire to serve.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

See if these pic's help.......I'm with pulling the "mode/function" motor - not sure if you tested it? - and see if you can move the levers in all functions....lube if needed.

No, I have not served. That is a pic of my oldest son just after grad from OCS for the USMC....the story here: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ngineer-39781/
Not a happy read............................

Attached Thumbnails windshield defrost-4th-gen-vent-flow-dia.jpg   windshield defrost-4th-gen-function-motor-location.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM

thank you.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Anytime....keep us posted. It helps everyone down the road.