General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wiper Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Default Wiper Switch

Has anyone attempted to disassemble the wiper switch in a 95 accord LX?
Mine seems to have a failing spring (?) and I'm wondering if anyone has bothered fixing one instead of replacing it.

If there is a guide to removing it that would be helpful too before I go diving in.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

I moved this to our general tech section. Do you hVe a Haynes manual for the car?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I did disassemble my 95 EX switch. My wipers worked, but I couldn't use the washer.

I think there were two small screws and then you could access the switch contacts. I only checked the contacts. I can't remember if I got to the spring.

My problem turned out to be a broken piece of plastic that couldn't be epoxied together. I went to the U-Pull-It junkyard and found one for $10.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
I moved this to our general tech section. Do you hVe a Haynes manual for the car?
Thanks for moving it and sorry for posting it in the wrong section.
I have a shop manual, no Haynes

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I did disassemble my 95 EX switch. My wipers worked, but I couldn't use the washer.

I think there were two small screws and then you could access the switch contacts. I only checked the contacts. I can't remember if I got to the spring.

My problem turned out to be a broken piece of plastic that couldn't be epoxied together. I went to the U-Pull-It junkyard and found one for $10.
Well I hope mine is fixable! There aren't too many good junkyards around me.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

If memory serves me, the 94-95 will work-EDIT: live2rice ???. The 96-97 had the wiper delay ring. Not sure if car-part works/operates in Canada or not....or you might call that company I talked about in "another thread" and see what you can get the whole combination switch for...just and idea.

P.S.-put the year in your sig....that way we don't have to search back to the top to know the details of the car.......Thanks, good luck.

Last edited by poorman212; 02-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM

I took it apart! remarkably easy.
The offending part is a plastic bit on the end of the spring, I am trying to glue it but with limited success.

Originally Posted by PAhonda

You wouldn't happen to still have the broken one would you? With our wipers combined I might have one working one!

pics forthcoming...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM

The wiper switch is made of 4 basic sections, The back section is where the plug is, it has unmovable metal contacts. The middle section is where all the mechanical parts are, it has moving pads which connect different things depending on the orientation of the switch. The third section holds the fourth section (the arm) into the middle section and supports the spring.

Here is a picture of the middle segment, you can see where the metal contacts do all the actual "switching";

Here is the back of the same unit;
Name:  P1020121.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  118.8 KB

Here is the arm, If you look at this and the previous picture you should be able to see how the little stick from the arm moves one of the pads;
Name:  P1020122.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  50.2 KB

Here is section number third;
Name:  P1020125.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  96.1 KB

and finally, here is the offending piece!
Name:  P1020124.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  100.1 KB
bastard...

My attempt at repair;
Name:  P1020127.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  93.4 KB

The repair is pretty solid but it still snaps when I reassemble. I really need a new tiny plastic sleeve! Anybody?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I threw my broken one away. The clear plastic part was broken on mine.

If you go to car-part.com, you can search junkyards by distance or price for 94/95 accords. Junkyards will ship parts to you if you find a really cheap one through that site.

You local yards may not have the switch listed, but they would sell one to you. I am a big fan of U-Pull-It places. Ebay is another option. A new one is way too expensive for what you get now that you took it apart.