HAF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HAF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HAF? Tell us here.

Share Your Opinion To Improve HAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Share Your Opinion To Improve HAF

nice edit DH!!!!! Jim ..... no comment.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I'm gonna set myself up for some flaming here.

Lately I think we've gone overboard about insisting the car's info be in the signature. [flame suit - where did I put that flame suit???]

I'm thinking about several threads lately where theperson clearly said what car he/she has, only it wasn't inthe signature. We scolded them & hollered &maybe scared them away forever.

Information about the car has to be there somewhere, but what's wrong with it being in the body of the post? If I want to ask a question about my daughter's friend's cousin's Accord, that car isn't going to be in MY signature.
Good point and I concur.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I'm gonna set myself up for some flaming here.

Lately I think we've gone overboard about insisting the car's info be in the signature. [flame suit - where did I put that flame suit???]

I'm thinking about several threads lately where theperson clearly said what car he/she has, only it wasn't inthe signature. We scolded them & hollered &maybe scared them away forever.

Information about the car has to be there somewhere, but what's wrong with it being in the body of the post? If I want to ask a question about my daughter's friend's cousin's Accord, that car isn't going to be in MY signature.
Jim ,,,first off no flaming , so no need to be by a water bucket
I am probable the biggest one that requests that members who seek help input the yr, model etc etc.. the reason being it only takes 10 extra seconds if that to input it in the signature and the info would be there all the time ( on every single post ) it would give them a faster reply ,, it gets real frustarting when having to ask members over and over to input the proper information, (also, in my opinion it wastes space ) and trust me i have done it dozen and dozen and dozens of time ( what's the yr and model ) ??? Heck it got so bad that i had to input it in my signature ( no yr no model no help ) it makes me feel to totally bypass that post ,, But that would defeat HAF and my own purpose , I am here when time allows me to help as many people as i can, to the best of my abilities ,,

Now i will agree with you that if it is not your personal car , than there is no need to input the info on the sig as long as it is in the post when asking for help .
'

Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: falkore24

nice edit DH!!!!! Jim ..... no comment.
I musta missed something. I hope it was funny.

I figured I'd get some hassle from you guys, that's why I said it. I've got a thick skin especially when the flaming has some humor to it.

I get a little annoyed too when the car's info is missing.I was thinkingmore aboutscaring off thenewcomers.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM

does your thick skin repel tea?

Actually, I agree with you. I think its a good idea to tell new members to put that info in their sig, but to go out of the way to scold them when they've made an attempt is not necessary.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: smaglik

does your thick skin repel tea?
I wasn't even sleeping with my mouth open. Besides I often grind my teeth suddenly in my sleep...

Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 PM

that is a solid defense mechanism. didnt andy dufresne have a similar comment in shawshank?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM

I am one of more than 250,000 members of the Audio Visual Science (AVS) Forum.

That site has a veryuseful auto-searchfeature that I thought might be of interest to the HAF powers-that-be.

When you hit the "New thread" buttonat the top of themain page ofany of the site'smanyforums, a form-page pops up that is typical of most other sites. But, unlike other sites,when you have finished filling in the "thread title" line and then click into the much-larger"body" part of the page, before you can type a single word in the body, a very fastsearch takes placeand alist of similar thread-title-links pops up, along with two accompanying explanatorymessages. First, on top of the list of threads, there is theheading -"Here are the similar threads we found", and second, below the list,"Please take a look at those threads before you start a new one."

On several occasions I have intended to start a new thread, but, after reading the list of threads that popped up, I found the information I needed and I didn't have to submitthe new thread. I'm sure a great many others have had a similar experience, and, as a result,a great number of unnecessary new threadshave beenavoided.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

I am one of more than 250,000 members of the Audio Visual Science (AVS) Forum.

That site has a veryuseful auto-searchfeature that I thought might be of interest to the HAF powers-that-be.

When you hit the "New thread" buttonat the top of themain page ofany of the site'smanyforums, a form-page pops up that is typical of most other sites. But, unlike other sites,when you have finished filling in the "thread title" line and then click into the much-larger"body" part of the page, before you can type a single word in the body, a very fastsearch takes placeand alist of similar thread-title-links pops up, along with two accompanying explanatorymessages. First, on top of the list of threads, there is theheading -"Here are the similar threads we found", and second, below the list,"Please take a look at those threads before you start a new one."

On several occasions I have intended to start a new thread, but, after reading the list of threads that popped up, I found the information I needed and I didn't have to submitthe new thread. I'm sure a great many others have had a similar experience, and, as a result,a great number of unnecessary new threadshave beenavoided.
I like it......automatic search button when starting a new thread ,,
Some of the other inputs that i feel would help beside tony's suggestion

A section where members can download DIY pictures , then us mods , we can add them to the appropiate diy write up ,,Only pictures of actual work would be accepted.

On the general tech help area, a breakdown of generation , it will make it faster for a member to find an answer to their question..

If someone owns a 98 .. he ( she ) is not going to care to look at something that does not apply to their car .. yes, i agree you will miss a lot of other general info, but i feel that members, mostly care only on fixing their particular cars .

word wrap ???. on all posts
Lot of times i open a post and it takes up the whole screen and then some, ( and i have a big screen ) i have to use the slide bar al the way to the end to attempt to read the post ,, Anyone else have that issue ??

HAf help and suggestion center ..
remove the help part, this should be just a suggestion section .
,members see the HAF help and post problems that they have with their cars, hardly anyone goes there to reply them ,or it will take a very long time for them to get a reply
members might feel ignored and leave this forum or if a new member not return. .. All help question should go to the gen tech area or related sections..

Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 PM

On the "break-down according to generation" suggestion - I think this changemight potentiallyleadto some major repetitionof writing, troubleshooting guides, photos, etc. wheremechanical, electrical, body, "you name it"areasof allgenerations "overlap".

This can be avoided to a certain extent, butit will have to be done by individuals posting links to where something has already been explained in a different generation. Then the viewer has to go into the other gen's area anyway.

I don't have any firm conviction on this.As I said, I just see thepotential for a lot of unnecessary duplication.In fact, ifI can find everything I need to know within our car's "magicgeneration" forum, that's just fine with me.

If the change is adopted, however, I think the search function should not likewisebe restricted tothat single generation's forum - at least on the first attempt. If it is, then the likelihood of unnecessary duplication of applicable threadsfrom other forumsis multiplied directlyby the number of new forums.

Quick Reply: Share Your Opinion To Improve HAF