Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Advice on installing new exhaust line

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Oleander
Unregistered
Default Advice on installing new exhaust line

I'm replacing the stock exhaust line that's been on my '92 Accord LX for almost 200k miles now. The entire line is rusted through in several spots, including the muffler. The only thing in standing shape is the catalytic converter. It will cost me $160 for the new line (everything in front of and behind the catalytic converter) and muffler. The mechanic down the street wants to charge me $600 for installation, and frankly, i wouldn't trust a mechanic with taking my dog for a walk. I was wondering exactly how difficult it might be to just swap the whole line and muffler myself. I have access to a car lift and a variety of car tools.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Default RE: Advice on installing new exhaust line

welcome to the forum! If you've got a lift this job is fairly straight forward and easy (providing the parts fit together oem style) Just make sure that you spary/soak the crap out of those bolts a day or so before you start the job with some WD-40 or something like it... Are you replacing the exhaust manifold as well or just the piping? leaving in the manifold, cat and muffler?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Oleander
Unregistered

Thanks for the welcome! To answer your question, it's only the piping and the muffler that need to be replaced. The manifold and the cat are perfectly fine. When my muffler broke loose from the piping a year ago, i had it up on a lift and welded it back on, so i'm somewhat familiar to the layout of what i have to do, and it really doesn't seem all that complicated. I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 02:02 AM

With the resources that you have it shouldn't be a problem. Just realize that with the age of exhaust there might need to be some cutting done to get it off, I mean some of those bolts might not want to let go or the heads will snap off. I think that if you climbed under there and welded the muffler back together than you can handle this.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

$600? Thats insane. I got my headers and cat back put on for around $200 or less at Midas. It wont be a prob. if you have a blow torch. But if you cut off your spring bolts, which you most likely will, then you'll have to buy a new set which will run around $11 or less. And like others have said (if you dont plan of cutting it off) spray all your bolts n' such down with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. And since that exhaust is stuuuuck on there I would spray it multiple times, everyday at least 3 weeks before. A few minutes each day will save you much more than trying to pry them off w/o anything

Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 PM

ya 600 bucks is insane. i got my exhaust from headers back put on for 40 bucks but then ppl were tryin to charge me 300 bucks to put the headers and the downpipe to the cat converter. so i did it my self. i watch the guys put my exhaust on and it was really easy. all they did was loosened the bolts took it off the hanger its on put the new one on the hanger and bolted the new one together. u should be able to do it easily with that lift