Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Legality of glasspack mufflers in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Default Legality of glasspack mufflers in PA?

I've been searching for a cheap way to make my 96 LX sound a little more aggressive, and I like the sound of glasspack mufflers from what i've heard on Youtube. I've been searching and searching, and cannot seem to find whether or not glasspack mufflers are legal in Pennsylvania (specifically a Thrush Glasspack) I know what state law says about having a muffler, catalytic converter, etc. I also know that if your exhaust is above a certain noise level, it is considered illegal. Can anyone help me with this? If it is NOT legal, can anyone suggest another muffler that IS legal in PA? (Preferably something cheap, i'm a highschooler with a minimum wage job)

Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 PM

PA exhaust modification law

Here it states that it's illigal in PA to change your exhaust to anything louder than stock; which I'm sure is the same way here in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

However, I do have a glasspack on my '99 Honda Accord F23A1, and it does sound agressive, and I do get followed/pulled over for it on ocassion. If you know how to keep it quiet around the cops, than you wont have any issues.

Plus were speaking about a glasspack and not a nice stainless steel catback. If you were to get pulled over you could just explain how you have a leak, or something of the sort; or atleast thats what I did.

My suggestion would be to get a 2" fence post, bend it, and then throw the glass pack on there, if you really wanna keep it cheep. Cost me $150 bucks total at my regular mechanic.