New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Difficulties in diagnosis, 91 Accord 2.2 LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Difficulties in diagnosis, 91 Accord 2.2 LX

Well hello everyone from way too sunny California. Oh boy it's been hot lately. I've been having some difficulties with my car so I came here in hope that someone can be familiar with my issue and offer some much needed assistance with advice. I'm 54 and not a novice at fixing an engine but admit I can be when it come to the brain or ECU. However I am smart enough to bypass every relay, sensor or anything else and get my car running. But I'd rather it run and operate correctly as it's supposed to, brain and all. Apparently I'm doing a shotgun fix, to me that means I'm fixing and/or replacing everything surrounding the issue, but, not the issue. Here's my story.
Two months ago I discovered water in my oil so I replaced the head-gasket and put it all back together, checked timing, all seemed good. Two days later my check engine light came on also S light started blinking. A little tranny fluid stopped s lights blinking and the ECU gave onlya 41 code, oxygen sensor. Replaced oxygen sensor. Next day drove to store less than a mile away and car dies on way back. Now I sometimes have this difficulty which I have tracked to the speed sensor on the passenger side front wheel which is very intermittent that causes the car to die, I can never pinpoint it though as being the reason. Pull over restart, go home. Once home I find the main relay seems to be the issue so I replace that. No start? Then I notice that the check engine light does not come on like it's supposed to upon turning the key. Remove negative connection from battery and returned hours later put it back. Check engine light still didnt come on but car started. Well, for about a minute. I turned radio on and car died, not sure why or if it's related. I can get the check engine light to come on only by placing jumper wire in the connection used to get codes from the ecu where it comes on then goes off when key is first turned to on position. Car still does not start. Now it seems that everything points to the ECU as being the issue. I have one on hand but wonder If I'm going to have a difficulty over security. I bought the car apparently with security disabled so I wonder if putting a different ecu in would re-inable it and prevent starting. I have another question concerning the underhood fuse box. In all my research I cannot find a matching fusebox that explains what the connection is that I have circled in the following picture. It seems these wires are burnt and I'd like to know what they are for and if they could be related to my issue, (too see this picture I have another post from a week ago listed as "Possible ECU problems 91 Accord').
Too update from there, I bought another ECU to find absolutely no change. Discovered the fuel pump wasnt pumping, there is power coming from the new relay. Replacing today. Now I have no spark, well a new coil and control module should fix that. What's left? The check engine light. Why wont it come on. Research indicates there may be some connection problem between the ECU and the check engine light. Now that makes no sense because all the other lights come on. If anyone is familiar with this issue please help.

Last edited by Casper Young; 06-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.