New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New 02 Accord... help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:32 AM
02se
Unregistered
Default New 02 Accord... help please

Hi all,

I just bought a certified used 2002 Honda. The buying experience was terrible, a lot of the required paperwork was missing. The dealership also wasn't going to include another key (car only came with one key and one remote, it's suppose to have 2 key, 2 remote + 1 valet key) and they didn't have floor mats for it. If I was buying from a private party and these things are disclosed, then I would have no problem. But these things are "minimum requirements" as stated by the Honda Certified Used web site (and also on the 150pt inspection sheet).

I felt like they were trying to cheat me out of $200+ worth of things ($50+ per key, $80 for the remote, $90+ for the floor mats).

After spending half a day there, I finally got them to give me the things that should be included. I will call the General Manager (GM) to complain about this. What are some other steps that I can take? Can I call Honda and compain about this dealership? Would that really matter?

Has anyone had similar experience with a dealership? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you for your time.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New 02 Accord... help please

First off, WELCOME to HAF.......

i am sorry about the bad experience that you had ( still ) going through ,, but you are not alone ,, a lot of shops wether it is dealerships or private unfortunately do not provide what they promise ,,thus causing headaches for buyers/customers......
as for writing to the GM or HONDA or BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU it would be a good idea, but if you ultimately got the parts you requested ,, all he ( she, they ) might say is ( SORRY ) .

Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 AM
02se
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely write the Better Business Bureau. I may just end up getting the parts I requested, but what bothers me the most is that I had to fight to get them. It's like ordering a cheese burger at McDonalds and then have to fight to get the cheese!

*sigh* The very least I can do is to let the GM know that I'm unhappy with their business practices. Is he the biggest person at the dealership?

Who are the people that I can talk to that can really make a difference?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Personally I would have just left. Dealers make a much larger profit off of their used cars that they do new ones. Calling HOA and filing a complaint is a very good idea because if they get enough of them, The dealer will suffer.

There is a dealer here in my area called Brookdale Honda and they sell more cars and have the busiest service department I have ever seen....the reason is that they are very nice to all of their customers and will work with them. I always bring my car to them and they have always fixed it while I wait or they give me a car to drive home with and call me when it is done.

I wil definately buy my next car from them.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

When we bought our '03 Accord (new), they messed up our first payment because the finance guy posted something incorrectly. It was actually pretty minor compared to yours. Anyway, about a week later Honda sent a survey on the 'buying experience' or something like that. We pointed out what happened, while saying the sales lady & the dealer in general were good.

Anyway, that finance guy started falling all over himself trying to apologize to us, all that stuff. It was obvious that Honda was in a position to really 'punish' him. Even if they don't send YOU something, it seems like it would be pretty effective to contact Honda. Check their website.

Still, like Desert says, you DID get your stuff. Right?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM

i left my car with them and got a ride, later i was supposed to be picked up, but they didn't pick me up, they said they are on lunch. plus i left the driver my cell #, so i had to walk 2 or 3 miles to the dealership. don't want to deal with my local dealer, but will deal with another honda dealer a little farther away.

its always a tossup as sir nasty had mentioned. a lot of places will be good, but few will make your dealer experience horrible!

good luck on the 02 accord! i like the 98-02 body style the best!

1999 accord ex