Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I hate drive by wire(rant inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default I hate drive by wire(rant inside)

The throttle body on my wifes volvo was on its way out(common problem, was actually recalled but hers was never replaced and is now out of the time frame). So I picked up one of the replacement units off ebay as a new one from volvo is $860.

Put it in(not the easiest job) but then it needs to be programmed before it can be used, without the program it just sputters and stalls. So I had it towed there(luckly I know a tow truck driver so got it done for $20). Pay them $150 to reprogram it. They call me say its done, I go to pick it up, start it up and its sputtering. I go back in, tech says he drove it including highway speeds and it was fine, but 20min later now it doesn't work.

Tech admits he isnt the best with volvos(its a toyota/volvo dealership) and if we want they will have their master tech look at it on monday. So I agree , but if they say this replacement unit is no good, then I have to have it towed back home and put the old(going bad) throttle body back in until I can muster up the cash to buy one that will work. So basically we have paid a ton to have the car back to the same way it was.

Going to try and return the broken one if thats the case, but they said a 30 day warranty and it has now been 32 days so we will see.

Some day I'm having.

Last edited by live2rice; 04-07-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

The update is Volvo determined the replacement unit is bad, so I am having the car towed home and putting the old unit back on. So long story short I paid close to $400 to have the car exactly the same as it was before. and for $550 I could have bought an aftermarket unit with a lifetime warranty that doesn't need to be programmed by volvo. Guess that is what I get for trying to save money.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Got any recourse to a refund for that (non)work you had done?

Got motorized throttles in all 4 cars now, and not really looking forward to when something breaks. At least the 2001 Saab had a TB that would go into some kind of limp-home mode & could be reset. I don't think that's anything like what a Volvo would have, but who knows?? Got a picture of the TB and cable-drum?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Talking with the place I got it from, but they don't seem like they want to give a refund, and they are standing behind that it was working when they gave it to me(yet somehow it is far worse than the one that was on there before, weird how that happens huh?). Volvo is giving me some official documentation today saying that it is bad to send their way.

Throttle body looks like this:

I really wanted to upgrade our Volvos to the R models, but now I am kind of reconsidering, the Volvo dealership has been less than helpful throughout this ordeal, and their labor/parts prices are just insane.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Dang, that sucks.....

Hoping the wifes Pilot doesn't ever have problems........

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

The seller said he would exchange it for another one, even though he originally said it came out of his daily driver, so why would a private seller just have another one lying around? I kinda just wanted a refund but I guess I'll try another one.