Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

synthetic oil (dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: synthetic oil (dealer)

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

One of the best you can buy currently is Pennzoil Platinum 5W20.
Seriously?
Ive always thought pennzoil was bad oil....

Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I have used it before to top off on another car. I hear that and Quaker State are oils that are not as of high quality.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I wouldnt trust em either....In fact, here in Indiana, a couple weeks agothere was a thing on the news about an oil change place that was up-selling from there lowest grade, $19.99 oil change to the premium stuff, not even synthetic...And they were caught putting the cheap stuff in there and charging like double the price for it...

Change your oil yourself and save the hassle

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Pennz is and has been a good oil. Old rumors and myths die hard.I'm specifying Pennz Platinum synthetic.As previously said,there are no bad oils anymore but some work better than others. On Bobistheoilguy there are many stellar results from Pennz Platinum in the "Used oil analysis" section.

Is there a solid reason to switch to synthetic? Only if the manufacturer requires it. I prefer synthetics and even have it in the lawn mower! Synth vs Dino is a debate that will go on forever. I will say this though......when many high end auto manfacturers say synthetic only in their cars, that tells me something.

I can't find it now but there is a list of carswhere Mobil 1comes as factory fill. Mercedes, Corvette, and the Turbo Acura come to mind but there are others. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me..........and my lawnmower.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hey RTF: Does your lawnmower have a 4-cyl on it with ITR's and open headers?!? I can picture you doing timed eigth-miles while mowing!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaRacer4Vtec

why do some german cars like benz recomended mobil 1 for there cars?
Haha, because Mobil 1 pays them to advertise for them! The same reason that new "Q" motor oil is allowed to advertise that Ferrari puts "Q" in their cars. It's all about $.

If you want something done right, you better do it yourself. (I still don't change my own oil yet cause I'm lazy, but I'm gonna start soon.)

Old 11-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Getting to that oil filter is a pain in the neck. I have seen it get done, also once had a guy that probably knew way less than I did and had him change my oil he jacked my car up on the tranny! Luckily nothing happened. 00 I think on the Mustangs that you and I like the oil filter and the drain plug are located in a reasonable location compared to the Accords. Any ideas?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Word...on a 65 with a 289 don't even have to jack up the car to get to the drain plug and can reach the oil filter through the engine bay. Gotta love that. I agree with 00...just do it yourself if you want it done right. Oil change is so easy and if you get your oil at walmart and a creeper from autozone you are golden.

Darn rtf...i switched to mobil1 cuz of you and now you are switching to pennzoil. Next oil change i'll have to bust some pennzoil plat. since you are the resident oil guru on haf. hehe..

Old 11-12-2007, 05:51 PM

im the only one who changes my oil.