Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

2013 Accord Ex 3.5 Suspension Upgrade

  #1  
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Talking 2013 Accord Ex 3.5 Suspension Upgrade

I recently bought this 2013 Accord 3.6 EX w/Navi and did some suspension improvements on it as I did on my old 06 Accord 3.0.I put in a 22mm Progressive Rear Sway Bar, adjustable style; put it on the "Soft" setting. (Took me longer to take the rear wheels off the car, than to put in this bar) I drove the car for a few days, going through the corners and all. Then, I put on the front stock sway bar, 19mm split collars, right up against the outter side of the sway bar bushings. I tightened them down about as far as I could go without stripping them. As with my old 06 Accord 3.0, these really helped a lot with the body roll. It also did with the 2013 also. It sure beats replacing the front bar on these cars. This is nothing new either. It really does the trick with the bigger bar in the rear.

I wanted to pass this on to others who maybe looking for a bit better handling from there Accord.
 

Last edited by wag928s; 05-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
  #2  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Default

How did the 22mm progressive installation go? Did you have to drill holes for the larger bolts? And did you notice a big difference after installing the FSB? I've heard that is a much trickier task than the rear. I'm looking into the RSB, but curious as to whether it's better to go ahead and do both.
 
  #3  
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default 22mm Progress Rear Anti Roll Bar:

The bar went in nicely and it is without a doubt worth every penny of it. I did not put it on the aggressive setting either, but bolted the stabilizer bars to the farthest hole away from the bar itself. Works very good.
On my 2013 Accord, which is a 3.5l, coupe, automatic.. I put in split collars on the front anti roll bar. Originally I put them on the outside of the roll bar bushings, closer to the tires. There was no sway at all, no give what so ever. So I moved them to the inward side, tight up against the bushing. That, worked great. This really reduced the body roll a lot. I have had them in now for a while and there is a big difference. The collars I picked up on e bay pretty cheap. It took about an hour to put both sides in. Hardest part was to remove the wheel. Easy job and again, worth it.
This is nothing new. The older Porsche's have them built in, as in my 928s, where I got this idea from.
 
  #4  
Old 05-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Default

Originally Posted by wag928s View Post
The bar went in nicely and it is without a doubt worth every penny of it. I did not put it on the aggressive setting either, but bolted the stabilizer bars to the farthest hole away from the bar itself. Works very good.
On my 2013 Accord, which is a 3.5l, coupe, automatic.. I put in split collars on the front anti roll bar. Originally I put them on the outside of the roll bar bushings, closer to the tires. There was no sway at all, no give what so ever. So I moved them to the inward side, tight up against the bushing. That, worked great. This really reduced the body roll a lot. I have had them in now for a while and there is a big difference. The collars I picked up on e bay pretty cheap. It took about an hour to put both sides in. Hardest part was to remove the wheel. Easy job and again, worth it.
This is nothing new. The older Porsche's have them built in, as in my 928s, where I got this idea from.
1. So was the original placement of the split collars reducing the sway too much? Can you clarify the difference?

2. I bought some lateral locks, as well as a progress 22mm rear sway bar. I'm trying to find out whether it's best to put the locks on the front bar or the rear.

3. I read somewhere that installing the collars (locks) on the front was a more difficult task than the rear. Did you find it to be? Would be real helpful to hear what you did, if it was a bit complicated.
 
  #5  
Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default Front, Rear Sway Bars

Originally Posted by NMinop View Post
1. So was the original placement of the split collars reducing the sway too much? Can you clarify the difference?

2. I bought some lateral locks, as well as a progress 22mm rear sway bar. I'm trying to find out whether it's best to put the locks on the front bar or the rear.

3. I read somewhere that installing the collars (locks) on the front was a more difficult task than the rear. Did you find it to be? Would be real helpful to hear what you did, if it was a bit complicated.



Evening NMinop:



I put the split collars on the inside of the front sway bar (orininal) right up next to the bushings. I bought my split collars off e bay, stainless, with stainless hex screws. Cheap. I also put on the threads the anti seize. It took me about an hour, including taking the wheels off to do the job. No issues at all. Easy straight forward job. Dam well worth it.


As for working.. YES. the car is much more responsive than it was and there is no doubt about that.


As for the rear bar, 22 mm Progressive, I put the end links on the holes closest to the bar itself, which is supposed to be "Tighter". Originally, I had the end links on the hole further from the bar. There is a difference for sure. There is no need on our cars to have the collars on this bar, it is heavy enough. The front needs them after you put in that rear bar though. You'll find out really soon what I am talking about. Body roll is bad. The rear bar I think took me all of 45 min to install also.


The car has 48k on it, v6, automatic with the paddle shifter's. All original.


In all honesty, with the minor items listed above, I am very happy with the way it handles for a full sized Honda. As an owner of a Porsche 928s, I have something that I can "Compare" the car with, and I am very content for what it is.


Now.. All I need to do is to get another 50 hp more or there about's of the V6, as I did with my 06 Accord 3.0.


Walt G.


 
  #6  
Old 05-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Default

That's good to know about the handling, and thanks a bunch for the response. 50 hp would make a heck of a difference- I already am happy with the power behind it, but I feel like I don't use half the power I have. Any plans for that?
 
  #7  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:24 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by NMinop View Post
That's good to know about the handling, and thanks a bunch for the response. 50 hp would make a heck of a difference- I already am happy with the power behind it, but I feel like I don't use half the power I have. Any plans for that?
Morning Nminop,

No problem, glad to help out.

If you do the Progressive Bar 22mm in the rear and put the split collars on the front bar, your going to find that "Beefing" up the strut tower brace will be needed. I am in the process of this now. I went to the bone yard, got one cheap brought it to my welder. He is welding in a steel bar, 7/16" thick, 1/2" wide, end to end, about 44" into each mounting plate. He also did the slight bend to match the original. That will be going on asap.

Every once in a while, nice to go after one of these mustangs, cuda's, camaro's, love it in the Porsche. God the look on their faces when I blow them by in 4th gear, even some of the 911's (Non Turbo's) Love it. I figure another 50 hp in the Honda would be about "Right" for the car for my needs and **** off these kids in the play race cars. Doing it in an Accord... What fun!!!

Working on this now. Doing the research.

Have Fun...
 
  #8  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Default

Originally Posted by wag928s View Post
Morning Nminop,

No problem, glad to help out.

If you do the Progressive Bar 22mm in the rear and put the split collars on the front bar, your going to find that "Beefing" up the strut tower brace will be needed. I am in the process of this now. I went to the bone yard, got one cheap brought it to my welder. He is welding in a steel bar, 7/16" thick, 1/2" wide, end to end, about 44" into each mounting plate. He also did the slight bend to match the original. That will be going on asap.
Good to know- did it just "feel" like there was too much stress on the front sway bar/front suspension? I'll probably stick with installing the rsb and do some more research on the front. I work at a company that has a machine/repair shop and can probably get a strut tower brace built as good as any I could buy. Good thought there. Saved me from recklessly buying one.
 
  #9  
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by NMinop View Post
Good to know- did it just "feel" like there was too much stress on the front sway bar/front suspension? I'll probably stick with installing the rsb and do some more research on the front. I work at a company that has a machine/repair shop and can probably get a strut tower brace built as good as any I could buy. Good thought there. Saved me from recklessly buying one.
Hi, yes, felt like there was a bit much sway. I read up on this and next in line after a heavier bar for the front, is a heavier tower strut brace. My welder friend wanted to go with a 1/4" thick piece of metal for the brace, about what is on there now. There is still going to be flex in the brace anyway. He said that if we went with a round tube or even square stock, there would be no give in it, and that is not good. I will let you know when I get it done how it is.

I am not looking to have this car perform like my 928, but just by chance something happens on the road and you need to swerve quickly.. I do not want to be in the ditch. We have a lot of deer up here in Vt and moose.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hondaman61
General Tech Help
0
02-06-2016 04:33 PM
smburke1
Appearance
21
05-08-2015 02:17 PM
David Medina
Audio/Visual Electronics
7
03-06-2014 07:47 PM
Spoolme
Audio/Visual Electronics
22
10-27-2013 07:26 PM
ASM82
Appearance
1
10-14-2013 02:39 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Ex 3.5 Suspension Upgrade


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.