Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?

I have a 1998 Accord EX v6 3.0L.I changed the oil over the weekend and notice a suspension component that was so badly corroded that it actually broke in separate pieces in 2 different places.I could move the pieces slightly with just my fingers.See photos.

I don’t know what this part is called or its exact function but I want to know if it’s safe to continue driving the car?It must have something to do with the suspension/steering system but I never noticed anything driving the car.It drives and steers fine.If I wouldn’t have noticed it changing the oil I wouldn’t have known the difference.It actually could have been like this for a while.The same arm on the driver’s side is in much better shape than this one.

It’s so badly corroded I don’t know if it’s even replaceable.But what I first want to know is if it’s safe to continue driving the car or if I’m risking losing the wheel or something else very unsafe?

Thanks for any insight.

Attached Thumbnails Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-100_1.jpg   Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-1.jpg   Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-2.jpg   Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-3.jpg   Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-4.jpg  

Old 03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Here's a couple more photos...

Attached Thumbnails Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-5.jpg   Broken suspension part - Is it safe to drive?-6.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Piece is the front beam and supports steering and engine. Do not drive IMO!

It can be replaced but engine will need support to perform replacement.

good luck

Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the response. That part is expensive and I don't know if the value of the car justifies the expense of the fix. I'll have to see what I can figure out with this one. Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM

I would not drive it.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

If the rest of the car is in good shape I'd say fix it.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

From a bone yard I'll guess the part is ~$300. There is a debate about the bolts, yet how many have removed/loosened those bolts to change the trans and never replaced them so I'm in the re-use camp.

If you repair, I'd doa bit of work on the used/new one before install. Clean the area's on the new one where the old one rusted away. A good coat of paint....and then just be but some spray undercoating. Make a few ref marks where the old one and the body are (outline) then when the new one goes in get in inside those marke.....then enjoy the ride.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys. I have one coming from the southern US supposedly in excellent shape with no rust. If I want it after looking at it, it'll be $225. I don't have all the tools or knowledge to do a job this big myself so I called a mechanic I know pretty well who said he'd give me a hand and let me use his shop for $400. Hopefully the part is in as good of shape as they say and we can get it in without having major issues. I didn't think a total of $625 was too bad for a job this big.

Undercoating will definitely be going on the new part Thanks for the suggestion.