Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Camber Adjustment help?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Default Camber Adjustment help?!

Ok.. It's a 1994 Honda accord EX Sedan... The camber on the passenger side is off by like .25 of a degree and the driver is like a tenth i guess from what i saw on the shop's computer. So they tole me i need a adjusting camber kit?? What kind do i need and where can i get it? they told me $400 for the kit and install!!! I was wanting to buy it myself put it on and just have them adjust it. It really doesnt look that hard... I've messed with taking the ball joint off plenty of times.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Camber Adjustment help?!

Ingalls camber kits......I have seen them on ebay. Cann't remember the price but they are not $400.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Camber can be adjusted by 'slotting' the holes in the upper wishbone where the wishbonebolts onto the rubber chassis mounting bushes (you know, the ones that hang down from the chassis). Each wishbone has four of these holes, two per bush.

How to:
1) Remove the upper wishbone and then unbolt / remove one of the rubber bushes.

2) Holding the wishbone in a vise and using a reasonably large 'rats tail' fileyou can file the two holes into oval shapes to provide slotted adjustment in or out as required.

3) Refit the rubber bush, making sure that you vertically align the bush shaft to match the other bush.

4) Now repeat the process with the second bush.

How much to slot the holes?
To give you an idea, elongating theholes by 8mm will give 1° of camber change, by 4mm = 0.5°, by 2mm = 0.25°. If you elongate the holes substantially to move the wishbone inward for increased neg camber you may find that the wishbone will be very close to the side of the 'strut' tower, and you may need to grind a bit of metal off the inner part of the wishbone to provide adequate clearance. You may need to file some of the wishbone to allow clearance to the bush if you slot the holes for substantially more neg camber.

Don't be concerned about the wishbones moving in service in the slots, I've had one of my wishbones modded like this for a couple of years and it never moves out of adjustment (even driving regulalrly on rough roads). If you do the bush bolts / nuts up nice and tight nothing will shift, the forces acting at the upper wishbone mounting points are not very great (much less than in the lower 'wishbone'). Most camber adjusters that I've seen use slotted holes in the wishbone for the adjustment in any case, very similar except that the slots are at the outer end and allow the ball joint to be moved in / out on the wishbone, not the whole wishbone in / out.

Personally, I'd be inclined to match the neg camber on the side with the greatest neg camber (which is what I've done on my CB7), i.e. increase the least neg to match existing greatest neg camber, even if the greatest neg camber is the most out of spec. A bit of additional to spec neg camber is not a bad thing for handling and front grip.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Synthetik
Unregistered

This might be to late, but you shoudl buy the camber ktis off ebay, and install them yourself and then take it up there. I was in the same dilemma you were about 7 months back. The installation isnt that hard, i was able to do it to mine, although, when you install the kit, drive it EASY to the alignment place. My tires were bad already from the crappy alignment, i almost had a blowout because it was so bad out of alignment after i put them on, but once they align it, no problem at all. Good thing it didnt blow, id prolly be scraping body O_o haha. hope this helps and its not to late for advice.