Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Installing rear lower tie brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Default Installing rear lower tie brace

Hello all, I've a question on installing rear lower tie brace.

I bought it a few months back with both my tower braces, but haven't installed it yet.

I've read (but can't find with search) that once the bolts are out, I'm going to have trouble putting them back in.

What can I / should I do to reduce any problems I'll encounter installing this brace?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Installing rear lower tie brace

use a large punch to line up the holes.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM

&lt\\;br&gt\\;Installing this or any rear tie bar is not an easy task. You must put the rear of the car on jackstands, remove the wheels, and the two bolts at the ends of the suspension control arms. What’s worse is getting these bolts back in with the new tie bar\\; because of the force of the springs, the control arm becomes misaligned with respect to the holes in the chassis, making it impossible to insert the bolts. Here’s how I solved this problem: First, use a jack directly under the end of the control arm, where you’re inserting the bolt. This should allow you to get the bolt through the tie bar and the front of the chassis, and into the control arm. Now the control arm is twisted so it doesn’t line up with the rear holes. So remove the jack, and place it under the control arm again, but under the point where the spring/shock attaches. Jack it up several inches, until you’re able to (barely) push the bolt all the way through and thread it into the welded-on nut on the other side. Be careful here since that spring holds a lot of energy and can seriously hurt you if it breaks free of the jack.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Took 20 minutes with large punches.&amp\\;nbsp\\; One of my easiest installs ever.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Aha! I finally installed it today!

I CAN feel a difference when I corner it hard, however there is still much work to do before it's flat as a pancake on the corners.