Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

skunk2 springs problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:37 AM
princexstfu
Unregistered
Default skunk2 springs problem

hi, i installed a set of skunk2 lowering springs with kyb shocks/struts. afterwards, i had the alignment done. When i took it for a road test, i noticed a really bad clunking noise whenever i go over a bump. i went back and checked my ball joints, tie rods, control arms, etc. but everything is perfectly fine. so i thought maybe i left something loose when i assembled the spring and shock so i took everything apart again and checked. everything appears fine, but i still get that really bad annoying clunking noise whenever i go over bumps, and its coming from all 4 corners of the car. anyone with skunk2 springs have this problem? anyone know what could cause this problem? i had a second opinion and thought maybe the spring is bouncing around when the vehicle is in the rebound stage of going over the bump. is this true?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 PM
princexstfu
Unregistered
Default RE: skunk2 springs problem

alright, info for anyone having the same problem. Took the suspension apart today and made sure i didn't have the 4cyl. springs in there instead of the 6cyl. so everything is perfectly in place, but i found that theres a lot of play between the top of the strut hat and the top of the spring, thus causing the clanking noise when i go over bumps. So i called skunk2 and they blamed my struts being that the rod was too long....bs, no one has had this problem b4. skunk2 sux and i would not recommend them to anyone. turns out that i'm not the only one having this problem, a few civics and integras also has this problem.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM

Did that set up come as kit or did you buy the peices separately? I was looking at springs and struts too and I think I can cross off skunk2. Let us know how you solve the issue, curious.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:30 AM
princexstfu
Unregistered

i did some research on the internet and found out tons of ppl has the same problem as me with the skunk2. you could do a search for "skunk2 noises" and you'll see what i mean. so i found a temporary fix of wrapping tubing around the coils to muffle the sound of the springs clanking against each other, so i went out and tried it. didn't work. did some more research and found this http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFMoreTravel.php, THIS WORKED FOR ME. turns out that my spring had about 1/4" gap between the top of the spring and the shock hat. what i did was cut the shock hat and welded a 1/2" pipe in and then installed it back on, and it worked~! no more clanking noise! better than spending more money buying another set of springs.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info, but that much hassle doesn't seem right. I guess I kind of held skunk in a high regard and when you have to take it all apart and then weld, etc it shakes my confidence in them. I think that I will avoid them; good post for us looking and without the resources to a welder.