Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tires ~ Inside-Outside

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

TireRack has a good explanation.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180

Symmetric non-directional tires are what you'd call "normal". They can go any which way.

Directional tires have tread patterns like arrows or something that looks like it points in one direction like my first picture. There's no difference between inboard & outboard shoulders, but they clearly point in one direction of rotation.

Asymmetric tires don't have a direction of rotation, but the outboard shoulder looks different from the inboard shoulder. My second picture is a tire that is obviously asymmetric. In spite of the way it looks, that second picture is not directional (according to Dunlop).

Your tires are asymmetric, but the difference is kinda subtle. You have to look at the curvature of the siping on the shoulders of the tire. The guy mounting them must not have noticed.

I'm gonna move this over to the "Tire/Wheel" section.

Attached Thumbnails Tires ~ Inside-Outside-du_direzza_dz101_pdptrd.jpg   Tires ~ Inside-Outside-du_spsport01_pdptrd.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 10-09-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

This is for Biffy44...

You're gonna look for markings when you rotate your tires. If they have an arrow showing direction of rotation, then you can only rotate them front-to-back. Not across the car. The only way to rotate directional tires across to the other side is to have them dismounted & flipped the other way on the rim.

If they say "Inside" and/or "Outside" then you CAN rotate them across to the other side. You would get in trouble if they were mounted on the rims the wrong way. That's what happened to Prospector.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
TireRack has a good explanation.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180

Symmetric non-directional tires are what you'd call "normal". They can go any which way.

Directional tires have tread patterns like arrows or something that looks like it points in one direction like my first picture. There's no difference between inboard & outboard shoulders, but they clearly point in one direction of rotation.

Asymmetric tires don't have a direction of rotation, but the outboard shoulder looks different from the inboard shoulder. My second picture is a tire that is obviously asymmetric. In spite of the way it looks, that second picture is not directional (according to Dunlop).

Your tires are asymmetric, but the difference is kinda subtle. You have to look at the curvature of the siping on the shoulders of the tire. The guy mounting them must not have noticed.

I'm gonna move this over to the "Tire/Wheel" section.
Thanks, Jim