General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F23A Cracked Head or Gasket Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 AM
dodins
Unregistered
Default F23A Cracked Head or Gasket Head

I have a Honda Accord LX 1998 AT 2.3engine F23A Model has 119T miles on it. 2 weeks ago I was driving this car and noticed the temperature gauge was going down below the Red Minimum Line and then went up again towards 1/5 the temp gauge. after 2 hours of driving i turned off the engine and notice the coolant was dripping out excessively from the coolant reservoir.. soon after..engine was cooling off I openned radiator cap and notice no coolant in the radiator.after another hour i filled the radiator with Preston50/50antifreeze. and the car was just fine. running excellen. I went to a mechanic and told him the issue, he advice me to replace my radiator cap so it will hold the engine pressure. I did replace it. But yesterday car just wouldnt start.Towed the car to the auto shop and the mechanic took out the 4 sparkplugs and turned the ignition toSTART we notice watery mist going out from the sparkplug hole. He told me there is a problem with the HEAD.. could be a crack..i'm left with three options... change the engine, replace the HEAD or possibly the gasket head ...or if its possible to apply sealant in the radiator to stop the water leaking towards the sparkplug...How would u know if its a gasket head ora cracked head.Cost is the main issue.Please advice me what to do. thanks.[:@]

Old 03-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: F23A Cracked Head or Gasket Head

ORIGINAL: dodins

.or if its possible to apply sealant in the radiator to stop the water leaking towards the sparkplug... issue.
Totally forget that idea.....
I would advice to remove the head, send it to a machine shop and have it checked for cracks , if no cracks,and the head is not warped behind repair ... mill the head , replace head gasket and reinstall .. you might want to spend the extra money and do a valve job while the head is off..
If it needs a head , than you might want to call around the local salvage yards and try to locate one ,, you might want to do a search on the internet as well ..
But you need to find out why the engine overheated in the first place and repair it .

I just noticed that you already had a thread open with the exact same question,, Why did you feel it necessary to open up a new one ?? do you think that opening up more than 1 will get you a faster reply ???
In the future please stick with only one ,, it is a waste of space and totally unnecessary to have duplicate posts........I have deleted the other one

Old 03-17-2007, 03:34 AM

Sounds to me like when the day the radiator was run dry the engine probably over heated and cracked the head. Most head temps will run around 190 degrees that is at normal operating temp. anything over 230 and your talking new engine time. when your engine is run without a sufficent amount of coolant it takes no time at all to run to over 200 degrees. a perfect example is the ford dealer i work for services many police cruisers. the 05 and newer crown victorias have terrible cooling fan issues during extended idles. i have seen entire cooling systems run dry with no engine failure and have seenhead temps above 240 whereone or more heads have craked. just a little inside information, good luck man...

Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 AM

btw run a pressure test to pinpoint the leak

Old 03-18-2007, 08:10 PM
dodins
Unregistered

Thanks to you both WIETGR and DESERTHONDA for your advices..I appreciate so much..I tried STOP LEAK to temporarily use the car (I don't have a secondcar to use) and it helped, car still run smoothly and check engine light went out. But then again have to do all ur advices. Pressure test and change what ever part is damaged. This forum help me alot. More power to you both !!