Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help Installing Security LED Scanner on 98 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Arrow Help Installing Security LED Scanner on 98 Accord

I own a 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 with the stock security system. Not an actual alarm system just the one that has an led in the door that flashes when armed and the horn and light goes off when you open the locked door without the key.

I am trying to hook up a security scanner LED to turn on whenever that system is armed (so basically when the doors lock.)

I would splice into the wires for the security system indicator LED in the drivers door but, while the positive wire is constant 12v, but the ground connection turns on and off to make the LED blink, I obviously need a solid ground connection that is constant but only when the system is armed. Is this possible with my current setup? Is there a way around this? Maybe theres a difffernet 12v or ground source in the car I can use that only is engaged when the doors are locked and/or the security system is engaged?

Any help would be great, thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I am not entirely sure of how the factory alarm system works in the 98, however, if the power is constant to the alarm when it is armed. you can use that as your source and hook it up to a relay, so that when the system is armed the relay is activated and makes a ground connection.

a relay works by using a low voltage signal to flip a switch. usually the switch is to turn on a higher voltage signal. But the same principle can be used to turn on a ground.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM

I have been researching the alarm and I would use the power off the security module itself (if thats an option) but am having trouble locating it in my car. I know you said your not familiar with the 98. Thanks for your response

Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Or if I could get some assistance with using a relay somehow I would try that approach

Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

even with the relay you would need that switched power off of the security module.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM

alright ill do some more researching and see if I can find the module

Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by grnday5
alright ill do some more researching and see if I can find the module

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - HONDA / ACCORD / 2001 / Remote Start

12volts white + ignition harness
Starter black/white + ignition harness
Notes: If doing starter kill, must interrupt the wire between the keyswitch and the fusebox, not between the fusebox and the starter, to keep the check engine light from coming on.
Second Starter N/A
Ignition black/yellow + ignition harness
Second Ignition N/A
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory yellow + ignition harness
Second Accessory white/black + ignition harness
Keysense
Power Lock black/blue - passenger side fuse box
Notes: in a green 20 pin connector.
Use black/white for lock and green/red for unlock on LX models without factory security. These wires are located in a two pin gray connector by the front of the drivers side fuse box.
Power Unlock orange - passenger side fuse box
Notes: in a green 20 pin connector.

Use black/white for lock and green/red for unlock on LX models without factory security. These wires are located in a two pin gray connector by the front of the drivers side fuse box.
Lock Motor white/red driver side fuse box
Unlock Motor driver side fuse box
Notes: yellow on the EX and lt. green/red on the LX
Parking Lights+ red/black driver side fuse box
Parking Lights- red/yellow steering column
Notes: Only available on the EX model.
Hazards
Turn Signal(L)
Turn Signal(R)
Reverse Light green/black + driver side fuse box
Door Trigger black/white - passenger side fuse box
Notes: In a green 4 pin connector.
Dome Supervision use door trigger
Trunk/Hatch Pin orange - drivers kick panel
Notes: Above the hood release in a gray 18 pin connector. On the DX & LX models, also found in a 2 pin connector behind the drivers fuse box.
Hood Pin yellow/red or yellow - hood pin switch or
Notes: On the EX models it is in a green plug next to the passenger side fuse box. On the LX models it is at the keyless/security unit, if equipped, which is attached to the driver side underdash panel.
Trunk/Hatch Release white/red + drivers kick panel
Power Sliding Door
Factory Alarm Arm
Notes: Arms and disarms with the door locks on the EX models. The LX models arm only with the factory transmitter.
Factory Alarm Disarm
Notes: Arms and disarms with the door locks on the EX models. The LX models arm only with the factory transmitter.
Disarm No Unlock blue -
Notes: On the EX the wire is located at the drivers power window switch, on the LX the wire is at the keyless/security unit which is attached to the drivers underdash panel.
Tachometer blue tach test connector
Notes: The tach test connector is located behind the battery on the 4 cylinder, and on a bracket attached to the drivers side strut tower on the 6 cylinder motor. The tach test connector is a white 2 pin connector, and may be covered by a black rubber boot.
Wait to start
Brake Wire white/black + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake
Horn Trigger lt. green/blue - steering column
Memory Seat 1
Memory Seat 2
Memory Seat 3
Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
Yes Type:
Transponder
Part #: 556HW
Alternate Part1 #: 555U
Alternate Part2 #: DesignTech 20402
Alternate Part3 #: DesignTech 29402
Alternate Part4 #: 556UW
Alternate Part5 #: 555H
Notes:

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

that is the information I received for the 2001. 1998-2002 are nearly identical.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the post, I did find this wiring chart through my research as well
http://alarmsellout.com/support/diag...01985-2005.pdf

I don't know if I'm gonna figure this one out. I just might have to tap into the Security Indicator LED on the door and deal with a blinking ground connection when the alarms enabled rather than the solid connection when the alarms enabled I was hoping to get.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

i do have service manuals posted as a sticky in this section. they do include more information.

so if you want to use the LED as a signal, you will need to build a circuit that is triggered on the pulsing (-) signal to the LED. that could be a circuit that uses a 555 timer to track the pulsing (-) then a cap on the (+) output of the 555 timer that rides through the pulses to then feed the base of an NPN which controls a relay. upon disarm the cap would fully discharge and turn off the scanner LED.

that's what i would do anyway.