Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

My Subs Blew My Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: My Subs Blew My Rear Speakers

Lol I love my bass, ever since I was like 6 and got into cars I wanted sick bass, now I have it. Can't hear the vocals but I got BASS! lol I am going to be getting an amp and a set of speakers soon, my old speakers and amp got destroyed in my last car so I have been saving. Almost there though!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:32 PM

I still haven't changed the speakers, and now I'm even more worried about putting new ones in. Now when I hit the serious air moving lows, one of the speakers in the rear bottom out with the bass. I can hear the cone CLACK against the coil. At first I thought it was just the rear deck vibrating, but its just one CLACK and not a rattle. Then I sat in the back and I could clearly hear it coming from one of the speakers, not the subs or the rear deck. I'm really worried about putting new speakers in just to blow them. I am thinking about getting carbon fiber cone speakers, but CF is brittle so would the cone break with the extreme bass from my 15"s? What is the strongest type of cone?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM

it seriously sounds like the coil seperated *L* You could go with aluminum instead of CF for a bit more strenth but I don't think it's a problem with the cone....

Old 02-03-2007, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

I took my subs out b/c they broke my box. My box prolly had gotten weakened when I totaled my suburban, so a couple weeks of pounding bass finally broke it. So I had to take them out to repair the box while I build a new one. Now with the subs out I can clearly hear my speakers again. My rear speakers seem to be blown. They sound really muffled, and not nearly as loud as they used to be, they aren't producing any bass at all. They don't sound all garbled like speakers I have heard blown. So is it possible for two 15" in a ported box pushing 2000watts to blow or break down the paper cone of the stock rear speakers? I am going to build my new box sealed so I am hoping to lose some of that pounding low bass. My 15"s with the back seat dropped move so much air if I am smoking the smoke moves back and forth an inch. I leave the backseat up most of the time so I think that the bass is what blew the speakers. Is this going to happen to the new speakers I put back there? I am going to get good quality speakers, prolly JL or Infinity. So I hope a non paper cone will be able to take the bass.

What kind of subs u got back there ?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

He has two 15 inch Kicker Comp VRs. Its in his sig lol.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
SWTWCACCORD
Unregistered

Ok guys no one has mentioned anything about crossovers. Do you have any kind of crossover on your rear speakers? If not they are getting the wrong frequencies and you are hearing distortion. I put 2 comp VX 15's in my brothers Taurus with a JBL 1200 mono amp on each one and there is no interference with sound pressure. All other sperakers are ran off of a JBL 300 running high pass so they don't distort or rattle

Old 02-22-2007, 12:39 AM

This is thread is kinda old but Ill throw my $.02 in anyway.

If youve got 2000 watts in bass in your trunk, rear speakers are kinda pointless. Theyre going to be drowned out by the bass. I take them out and not replace them.

Ported boxes do have more output than a sealed box but only at a certain point. It will hit like a ***** at 60-80 Hz and then drop like a stone in the 50-20 Hz range. A sealed is more for SQ. It has a flatter response meaning itll hit 30 Hz almost as hard as it hits 80 Hz.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:55 PM

I have already taken the stock rears out, and I did blow the cones off the surrounds. I have also decided to remove the rear speakers, and build a new box that the ports fire into the speaker holes. Before I do this I want to know if this will even sound better. I am hoping the bass will bounce off the rear windshield, and I have more then 5 feet for the low frequency waves can form. I'd have to really reenforce the rear deck b/c, the bass has really loosened it up and it squeaks and rattles while driving or at low volumes. Now I wont have the ports going right up to the speaker holes b/c I can't make the box that tall, but I am going to put the ports on top of the box toward the rear and spaced apart as far as the speaker holes. Also I am leaning towards getting a pair of Polk Audio MMC6500 for the fronts and amping them with the correct power, any have any experience with these speakers?