Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Line Vaccuum Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Default Fuel Line Vaccuum Problem

Hello everyone, I have a 1989 Honda Accord. The gas pedal takes alot more foot effort to press it down than it used to, and has been this way for months. I didnt start thinking anything of it til just recently. A couple weeks ago I noticed that when I go to pump gas in my car, the pump acts like my tank is full, when it is empty. I thought maybe it was the gas station, however I went to a different station today and it did the same thing. Does anyone know what may be causing this? or if these occurrences are even related? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie!

How about a throttle cable getting old, sticky, or corroded? Does it feel like a too-strong spring? Or like excessive friction?

Also check the smaller hoses that run alongside the fuel filler pipe. There's a couple vents & little valves that allow the "air" in the tank to move around & make room for the gasoline. They might be pinched? Valves rotted & stuck? Anything like that?

They might not be related to each other, except for the general age & corrosion of the car.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's doubtful the problems are related.

The sticking throttle linkage could be damaged or binding linkage, binding throttle plate, worn throttle plate shaft, etc. Only way to know is to carefully examine the throttle pedal, pedal pivot point, cable and cable sheath, throttle cable to throttle plate linkage, and throttle plate. Occasionally, the throttle plate can become so dirty that it binds so start w/ that component.

Fuel fill problem is likely related to the air vent line from tank to top of filler neck. Examine vent connection to fill tube, vent line, and rubber jumpers for problems. If nothing, you might try disconnecting one end of a rubber jumper from the tank side connection and pinching the jumper end closed. Blow on the tank inlet and see if you get air return from the open vent end. If you can't vent outward, there is a blockage or perhaps a stuck check valve at top of tank.

good luck

Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Ok, thank you very much