General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Accord 4cyl auto. Won't shift out of Park & CEL on

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks! I thought it was DC but I wasn't getting any results from that so I switched. I will leave the TPS where it is for now and see how it runs for the next few days!

Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default How to replace JUST the TPS (throttle position sensor) on a 2004 Honda Accord EX

OK, as promised here is how I replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) without replacing the entire throttle body on my 2004 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder 2.4L Automatic transmission saving me over $575 compared to the auto repair shop. Most places will not replace JUST the TPS because Honda does not sell just the TPS alone. They make you buy the entire throttle body.

This will resolve CEL (check engine light) code P0122. Definition of P0122 can be found here:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0122

I found these installation instructions online. Because of the location of the TPS in my Accord I did NOT have to remove the entire throttle body, so I skipped that part on these instructions and just focused on removing/replacing the TPS by itself:

http://www.iapdirect.com/pictures/TP...structions.pdf

I purchased a TPS for $17 on ebay got it within 48 hrs. Just go to ebay and search for: tps 2004 honda accord. There should be several to choose from.

First disconnect the Negative battery terminal.

Next I located the TPS in my Accord. It is in the very front at about 1 o'clock from the radiator reservoir shown here in the red square:

Then disconnect the wire connector from the TPS.

Next you will need to remove the 2 bolts that release the TPS from the throttle body. This is the hardest part of the whole install! You have to cut a slot in the top of the breakaway bolts so you can use a screwdriver to remove them. Since I did not have a Dremel tool, I used a hacksaw to carefully cut a groove in the center of the bolt so I could use a flat head/slotted screwdriver to remove them. I am sorry the pic below is so blurry but you should get the idea. Just make sure while hacking away you do not cut into anything else:

Once you have a slot deep enough and wide enough to accommodate a flat head screwdriver, remove the bolts. Lefty loosey. Set them aside to be used to connect the NEW TPS:

Once the bolts are removed, you can pry off the OLD TPS. If the gasket does not come off with the TPS (it probably won't) just scrape it off with your fingers then if needed, a razor blade as seen here:

After the OLD gasket has been thoroughly removed, find your NEW TPS and with the gasket placed on the back of TPS, position it on the throttle body by FIRST inserting the rotating arm from the throttle body into the slot on the back of the NEW TPS. THEN you can line up the bolt slots on the TPS with the bolt holes on the throttle body.

Next, finger tighten the bolts (the ones that were on the OLD TPS) so that the TPS is positioned with the bolt slots in the middle of their adjustment range. Tighten just enough to where it will stay in position but able to adjust slightly counter-clockwise or clockwise.

Then reconnect the negative battery terminal and connect the wire harness connector to the NEW TPS.

Your almost done. With the key on, but engine off use a volt meter and connect the black wire to chassis ground and the red wire to the CENTER wire on the TPS connector. Rotate the NEW TPS slightly in either direction so that the volt meter reads .45 volts. Once .45 volts has been achieved you tighten the bolts to secure the NEW TPS in that position.

Start the car and put the car into reverse with your foot ON the brake. If you can shift out of park you are done. The CEL should clear shortly after test drive. Congratulations, you just saved hundreds of dollars!!

Good Luck! I hope this helped!!

Last edited by TrendiNC; 06-11-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Add CEL code