General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 accord ex vtec starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Question 1994 accord ex vtec starting issue

Hi, i have a 1994 honda accord ex vtec. I had a overheating problem which wound up being the radiator. i replaced the radiator put everything back in correctly it started for me fine 4 times in a row after replacing the radiator. in the same day about an hour after replacing the radiator the car would not start. it turns and turns sounding like it wants to start but it just wont. to me it might just be a coincidence that this happened in the same day. 8 months ago i replaced the water pump and the timing belt. i looked over the car such as the plugs and wires, fuel pump sounds like its engaging, checked the fuses, and im def getting gas. not sure if its the distributor or not or if overheating the car might have done something but it also seems like the upper and lower radiator hose is building up alot of pressure while im trying to start it also and i dont see any kinks... any suggestions would be helpful because im at a loss right now

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM

if there is any more information i could give please dont hesitate to ask so i can further help you help me thanks for any info its the only car i own and desperatley need it up and running again

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, get these codes (Check DIY forum for OBD1 procedure) and post them.

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

These checks must be done when No-start condition exists. It will do no good to check when car is starting.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the CEL, Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where ignition is failing.

good luck