General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Honda Accord - AC not cold - only blows on high

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 Honda Accord - AC not cold - only blows on high

When I got in my car today I turned on the a/c ( auto ) and it wasn't blowing. I kept turning up the speed and it didn't blow until I got to full fan.

I made sure to use recirc and ensure "ac on" was showing.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Is the a/c compressor coming on when you toggle the "ac on" button? You should be able to hear it kick on or notice a slight change in engine rpm. If the compressor is not coming on you may just be low on refrigerant.

Does full fan speed move alot of air or do you feel like there might be an airflow restriction? Change the a/c filter behind the passenger glove box if there is an airflow restriction.

My car had an a/c leak on the small refrigerant tube right under the engine air intake hose. The small resenator baffle hard plastic peice that is attached to the stock air intake hose was rubbing against the a/c tube and eventally wore a whole through it, then of course the refrigerant leaked out and the compressor stopped. Fluke thing, but I cannot remember if I had all speeds on the fan or just high.

FYI, if you are low on refrigerant make sure you charge the system with the fan in the high position.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't hear the compressor coming on at all nor do I notice the engine rpms changing like before.

Originally Posted by jwolfe106
Is the a/c compressor coming on when you toggle the "ac on" button? You should be able to hear it kick on or notice a slight change in engine rpm. If the compressor is not coming on you may just be low on refrigerant.

It appears to be blowing just fine.

Originally Posted by jwolfe106
Does full fan speed move alot of air or do you feel like there might be an airflow restriction? Change the a/c filter behind the passenger glove box if there is an airflow restriction.

Last edited by drfence; 04-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

So does the blower motor blow air at anytime other than max speed,,,,heat or ac?

Have you checked for codes?

Or better yet now that I rad agin, take it back to where you bought it and see if they will help.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

If the blower is only running on high speed setting, most likely the blower motor resistor is bad. It is a pretty simple fix.

I think the HVAC system on the 98-02 accords can shut down the a/c compressor when the blower is not working. I am sure it can on the 03+ accords.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, ONLY on high speed for ac or heat.

How hard is it to get to this resistor? I just called my mechanic and he said the "full auto" a/c systems are more than just a resistor, they're a full module. I do have the a/c system where you can set it on a temp like 75 degrees and set it to "auto" for cooling.

He's going to call back with an estimate.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If the blower is only running on high speed setting, most likely the blower motor resistor is bad. It is a pretty simple fix.

I think the HVAC system on the 98-02 accords can shut down the a/c compressor when the blower is not working. I am sure it can on the 03+ accords.

Last edited by drfence; 05-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

$155 for the mechanic to fix.

Originally Posted by drfence
Yes, ONLYHe's going to call back with an estimate.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not much different from the non-auto climate control. Instead of a resistor-pack for the blower speed, your car has a solid-state speed controller. Bolted into the same location. So your car has #8 instead of #7 (in the picture here).

Look for the round blower housing below the glovebox.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Thumbs up Blower Motor Resistor

I have a 2002 Honda Accord with the same situation. Fan would only operate on high speed, nothing on auto up until I got to Max on the fan speed dial. Replaced the Resistor as PAHonda and JimBlake mentioned and it did the trick. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by drfence
Yes, ONLY on high speed for ac or heat.

How hard is it to get to this resistor? I just called my mechanic and he said the "full auto" a/c systems are more than just a resistor, they're a full module. I do have the a/c system where you can set it on a temp like 75 degrees and set it to "auto" for cooling.

He's going to call back with an estimate.