General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Honda Accord front wheel vibrates at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM

What is a set of skins? I have tried rotate tires and the vibration stays from the same location. Do you think this could still be tire related?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Skins = Tires

As for thinking your issue is tires, no, as I wrote earlier, it is starting to sound more like an axle issue to me. If you decide to swap out the left front axle, don't cheap out on the replacement unit, by all accounts replacements axles from either Honda or Raxles-dot-com are the way to go.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

If the tire or wheel was the problem, it would follow the wheel when you move that wheel to a new corner.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Skins = Tires

As for thinking your issue is tires, no, as I wrote earlier, it is starting to sound more like an axle issue to me. If you decide to swap out the left front axle, don't cheap out on the replacement unit, by all accounts replacements axles from either Honda or Raxles-dot-com are the way to go.
How hard/costly is it to determine whether the axle has problems? What's the estimated cost to repair? What will happen if I don't get it done soon enough? This problem has been there for more than a year now because I could not find a mechanic that could tell me what is the exact problem.

Also, do you think if I replace all 4 tires could fix the problem (if it is not an axle problem). I hesitate to do so because the tires are half new.

Thanks again!

Last edited by blueking; 03-24-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think you've already shown that it's NOT the wheels or tires. Like we have said, if it was caused by a tire, it would move to a new corner of the car when you rotate the tires. Rotating the tires is the best way to prove it is or is not caused by the tires.

One way to check the axles is to reach underneath & grab the axle. Try to shake it every which way. Especially try to wobble it NOT in the direction along the length of the axle. One way for the axle to go bad, is for the inboard CV joint to get loose.

If it does NOT move, that doesn't really prove the axle is good. It might just take more force to get it to wobble.

Best to do this when the car is sitting on it's own tires. If you jack it up, then the suspension is extended. If you drive up on ramps that's good but MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE it's solid so the car doesn't fall down on top of you.