General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 accord timing chain issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Default 2003 accord timing chain issue

Hi, new to the forum. We have a 2003 accord lx we bought new, great car, always serviced at dealer, oil changed every 5k at dealer. Had check engine light come on over weekend seemed to be running fine, started running worse losing power ect. took back home, next day wouldn't start, was turning over faster that usual. Took to dealer, said timing chain jumped several teeth and probably bent some valves, said they saw some pieces of metal inside spark plug holes . recommended cheaper to replace motor, quoted 2,600 to put a motor in with 110k, called honda said usual because of age and mileage couldn't do anything.
Looking for any suggestions, were planning to keep car for awhile.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A 2nd-opinion is worth the time/effort. If only timing chain is damaged, then engine can be repaired, however from you description there may be bent valves or worse, damaged pistons.

A quote of $2600 to replace engine doesn't sound wildly off. Suggest getting at least one additional quote from a reputable shop.

Some due diligence to find shops that specialize in engine replacement could yield benfits.

good luck

Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks, talked to a friend who has a junkyard and garage, just got in a wrecked 04 with 150k,listened to motor today started right up and sounds good no noises.just a little concerned about the miles.although she has 125k on hers Told me $ 450 for motor and $ 500 to put in. Plus cost of new gears and chain and I was going to put a new water pump on while it's out, maybe drop oil pan and clean out also. Wife misses her car

Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

This board is for questions about the website, not about cars. I'll move this over to General Tech.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Thanks, first time posting here. still kicking around the idea of putting a motor with 150k in the car. Did talk to tech at dealership, they only cover their used engine for 60 days, no labor. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

If the one with 150k gets new gears, chain, ect......you should be good to go. About the only thing I would do/ask, what are the compression readings on that motor?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, the timing chain and gears does not need replacement if the car is properly maintained and there are no issues causing excessive wear.

Your friend's junkyard motor with 150k for $450 + labor of $500 sounds okay. A few maintenance items may be needed if they were not previously done; e.g., spark plugs, drive belt, etc.

After replacement of the engine, one of the main thing is to regularly change the engine oil and regularly check engine oil levels between oil changes. The timing chain auto-tensioner uses engine oil pressure; so, if the oil level is low, it can lose oil pressure and the chain can skipped a few teeth due to the lack of oil pressure.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by firedog261
Hi, new to the forum. We have a 2003 accord lx we bought new, great car, always serviced at dealer, oil changed every 5k at dealer. Had check engine light come on over weekend seemed to be running fine, started running worse losing power ect. took back home, next day wouldn't start, was turning over faster that usual. Took to dealer, said timing chain jumped several teeth and probably bent some valves, said they saw some pieces of metal inside spark plug holes . recommended cheaper to replace motor, quoted 2,600 to put a motor in with 110k, called honda said usual because of age and mileage couldn't do anything.
Looking for any suggestions, were planning to keep car for awhile.
I had the same experience with my 2003 Accord. At 100,000 the check engine light came on and I stopped at AutoZone a few minutes later to retrieve the code for the check engine light. It was the cam sensor and a few miles later the cam tensioner stopped working for lack of oil pressure and the chain let loose and took out the valves and pistons. The 2003 Accords had a small number of engines that suddenly consumed oil at a high rate and didn't show any signs of burning oil. In my case the oil was filled to the proper level 108 miles before the incident. According to the dealer that checked out the vehicle for possible warranty assistance there was no oil showing on the stick and no check oil warning came on before the engine blew. I purchased a used engine from Spalding Auto Parts with under 3000 miles for $1200 delivered. It ran perfect until the car was totaled last month with $150,000 miles. I don't believe in buying High mileage used engines. I went with an engine from a 2005 Accord. I would suggest avoiding one from a 2003.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.