General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Default Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord

When checking that the 2 lines on the cam gears are horizontal, with the crank pulley is at the TDC mark, does the #1 piston need to be at TDC on the compression stroke? Mine do not line up, out by 3-4 degrees, but I neglected to check that #1 was at TDC. I only lined up the crank pulley's mark to the pointer on the block.

The reason I checked the cam gear alignment is because I was unable to accurately measure the tensioner rod length.

Also, is a compression check conclusive enough to determine if any valves have bent?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord-img_0980.jpg   Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord-img_0984.jpg   Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord-img_0974.jpg  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Position of pulleys alone is not enough to verify chain alignment. The tensioner length measurement determines overall chain wear. You will need to access the tensioner to confirm chain length.

Did you get a camshaft phase angle error, P0341?

A compression check should confirm no valves are bent.

good luck

Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Yes, CEL has been on for a year but never checked as car was running just fine. Finally read the code and it was a P0341.

It's almost impossible to accurately measure the rod length with the access cover removed because the rod is mostly hidden under the chain cover.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Persistent code P0341 may be a sign of worn chain. Don't put off inspection and repair if indicated. There are a series of tests of VTC system in the Honda Shop manual that precede the timing chain tensioner inspection. There could be another cause of P0341 other than worn chain.

See below link for replacement of timing chain and tensioner. Inspection of tensioner would be similar. You can not access tensioner for inspection from upper timing cover removal.

So, it would seem the best strategy would be to inspect, but be prepared to replace the chain and tensioner if out of spec.

W/O confirmation of crankshaft position the camshaft positions are not necessarily wrong, but do suggest a possible problem. This issue should be resolved sooner rather than later to avoid possible engine damage.

good luck

Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 PM

Here's a pic of the tenioner with the inspection cover removed. You can barely see the rod and measuring it accurately is not really possible. I've tried using a stiff wire but can't tell where the end is.

I have checked everything possible in the P0341 flowchart without removing the chain.

I think I'll have to give in and have the dealer fix it. Dealer chain replacement quotes range from $700 to $1500.

That's a great video, makes it look easy lol!

Attached Thumbnails Timing chain stretch check: 2003 Accord-hpim0867.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0341.pdf (176.9 KB, 321 views)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Found following article. Not alignment of marks on camshaft sprockets. Looks like yours may be OK. Article is about tensioner being reason for slack chain in some cases.

Timing Chain Replacement - Honda Tuning Magazine Page 2

Found interesting thread on timing chain failures in hondas on another site:

Honda CR-V Questions - CRV Timing Chain? - CarGurus

Suggest you replace tensioner also if you replace the chain.

good luck

Old 12-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This is very good information. I think I'm in this same situation with the P0341 code.

Any update if the timing chain change helped the situation?

My car is running fine and I'm trying to figure out why the code keeps coming up. Everything points to the tensioner and stretched timing chain with my 2005 Accord 2.4L. Car is running fine an I don't want more issues.

Here's my post:
P0341 Code 2005 Accord

PAhonda suggested checking the inspection cover but it looks very tight in that area. I don't know if I will be able to see rod length if I remove the inspection cover.

I will be doing the work myself and did a timing belt change with a water pump/oil seals on a 1995 Accord 10 years ago and it wasn't hard just took some time. The 2005 might be a little harder due to how tight everything is....

Any additional comments on my thread are appreciated - thanks - Lon

Last edited by staged206k; 12-31-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by staged206k
This is very good information. I think I'm in this same situation with the P0341 code.

Any update if the timing chain change helped the situation?

My car is running fine and I'm trying to figure out why the code keeps coming up. Everything points to the tensioner and stretched timing chain with my 2005 Accord 2.4L. Car is running fine an I don't want more issues.

Here's my post:
P0341 Code 2005 Accord

PAhonda suggested checking the inspection cover but it looks very tight in that area. I don't know if I will be able to see rod length if I remove the inspection cover.

I will be doing the work myself and did a timing belt change with a water pump/oil seals on a 1995 Accord 10 years ago and it wasn't hard just took some time. The 2005 might be a little harder due to how tight everything is....

Any additional comments on my thread are appreciated - thanks - Lon

A suggestion on measuring the rod extension. Count the number of upset edges exposed on extension rod. You may need a mirror to see them and a spare tensioner to know how many edges/mm.

good luck

Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TX......looks like a new timing chain and tensioner for me....... Not looking forward to doing this job in 20F temps, at least I'll be in a garage....