General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord LX-Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord LX-Brake problems

Hello,

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX Sedan automatic with 333, 400 miles. Yes it has alot of miles but it runs great. No maintenance or engine light on! However, I notice when I'm driving and I brake while going over a small hole or rise in the road, my brakes sort of fail; even when I get on the brakes I can tell that there is something wrong. I can hear a grinding noise when I press my brakes (on the inside of the car) and it sounds like gears grinding when you miss a gear in a manual transmission. Also when I am pressing the brakes I can feel the brake pedal jumping under my feet. Yes this is crazy and before I take it to my mechanic I wanted some insight for myself.

Thanks,

Patrick

Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Worn out pads w/ metal/metal contact is likely. Rotors are warped or worn badly due to worn pads. New pads and rotors should put things right.

It is possible something else (rocks or debris in brake pad assy) can cause noise, but this is less likely.

good luck

Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks! this helps

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Talking Hey Member **

Originally Posted by Patrick Walker
Thanks! this helps

Thanks for posting and joining the HAF..

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Honda Accord LX-Brake problems-snowdaydec14th2013-007.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 01:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Patrick Walker
Hello,

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX Sedan automatic with 333, 400 miles. Yes it has alot of miles but it runs great. No maintenance or engine light on! However, I notice when I'm driving and I brake while going over a small hole or rise in the road, my brakes sort of fail; even when I get on the brakes I can tell that there is something wrong. I can hear a grinding noise when I press my brakes (on the inside of the car) and it sounds like gears grinding when you miss a gear in a manual transmission. Also when I am pressing the brakes I can feel the brake pedal jumping under my feet. Yes this is crazy and before I take it to my mechanic I wanted some insight for myself.

Thanks,

Patrick
You seem to be describing the Anti Lock brakes. The pedal makes a ratcheting feeling and sound. As the tires stop the vehicle what kind of shape are they in?

Old 12-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Cool Anti lock brakes

Yes that is what everyone says...and when I stop it scares me because it takes awhile for the brakes to really kick in and stop (they are working, just struggling a bit). As far as tires go, I haven't had new front tires since 2012. Ive been buying used tires ever since. After a month or two of owning the tires my aunt always notices and says.."hey why are your tires being eatin' up in the middle," seeing that I'm no car guy I just said hmmm I dont know. Maybe it has to do with alignment issues, or something else I really dont know. Another guy on the other Honda accord website said worn out rotors and calibers but guess we will see when I take it to the mechanic tomorrow!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM

Bad speed sensor, on one wheel, causing the ABS to activate? Could be a lot of things causing the pulsing sensation, but I would check the pads, and the calipers for leakage and free movement first. If brake fluid gets on the pads it can cause them to jump when the brakes are applied. Good luck with it.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Default ABS engaging

Thanks everyone! found out that it was my ABS system engaging when I go over bumps and rises and try braking! Due to low traction this caused ABS to kick in.