General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: No start 90 accord
Any help
0%
Plase
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

90 accord starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Default 90 accord starting problems

I have a 90 accord that for the last two weeks it takes like 20 seconds to start just cranks and cranks finally catches. Runs great father I got it started. But now all it does is crank no start.
I have changed the spark plugs, distributor, coolant temp sensor, valve cover gaskets because it had oil in 3rd and fourth plugs. Oh yeah and the main relay. I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail very good pressure. I have checked for spark at each plug wire and it's pretty strong.
At a loss now if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks
Paul

Old 05-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Check for engine codes. See the link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.

For the car to start, you need spark, fuel, compression, and timing.

For fuel: You have some fuel pressure at the rail. Try starting the car, then quickly pull a spark plug. Do you smell gas? You can also pull off the snorkel to the throttle body and spray starting fluid. See if the car runs momentarily.

For spark: You verified spark is getting to the plug, but the spark could be weak under compression. Do you have a timing light? Hook it up and verify you have enough spark to flash the timing light consistently.

For timing: You can pull the distributor cap and line up the rotor to the #1 cylinder. There should be a small rubber cover to the transmission where you one of the teeth has a mark when you are at top dead center. There should be some youtube videos of this. Also check the firing order of your spark plugs on the distributor cap. The order should be 1,3,4,2 going clockwise on the distributor cap looking from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest "priming" fuel pressure by turning key to On and allow Check Engine Light to go Off. Repeat twice before attempting to start.

I've noticed on my 94EX that cranking time on a cold start has increased. However, if I "prime" twice as described, the start time is normal.

This result sugggests that fuel pressure is declining to zero during off period, and longer starting time arises until fuel presssure is restored. Why? Most likely a leaking fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump check valve.

Another possibility is a faulty air boost valve not opening to allow additional air to a cold engine. Search DIY forum for details of how to check and adjust air boost valve.

good luck