General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord Engine Maintenance/Overhaul Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Default 94 Accord Engine Maintenance/Overhaul Questions

What parts needs to be replaced to keep my engine going? No problems now, but I want to prevent future problems.

I'm going to replace the timing belt on my 94 Accord LX, it has just over 100k miles. Along with that I'm doing cam and crank seals, water pump, balancers, and seals that are right there. The engine leaks oil, I think around the distributor, so I'll do the O-Ring around that. I'm going to do the PCV valve and grommet, spark plug seals, valve cover gasket.

What else should I do?

The engine leaks oil, and ocassionally smells like it's burning oil, but it's a faint smell, does that indicate a bigger problem? What things aren't repairable?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Accord Engine Maintenance/Overhaul Questions

Before you do all the work clean it up & find the specific leaks. I'm guessing the front main seal is more work than you want to do unless it really IS leaking there.

For the smell...
Find out if its dripping oil on the exhaust pipe vs. burning it. If it's actuallyBURNING oil, then think about rings vs. valvestem seals. Versus a new/used shortblock or just tolerating it.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM

I think it actually is burning oil. I pulled the oil cap off after driving it home from work and got a little smoke coming out. Although since it leaks oil, I put some more in and I think I may have over filled it. That's about when I got the burning smell, that's why I think I probably over filled it.

Is there anything else I could do while I'm doing this work? I don't have the tools to take the engine out, so I would have to take it somewhere for work that would require that.

How much could I expect to pay for a shortblock? I think my engine is an f22b2.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM

when you pull the cap off after you drive it almost every car will do that because the oil is hot and its the residue inside the motor from heating and cooling all the time steaming off, gives it a varnishy burnt oil smell, also could be doing that because the oil needs to be changed. Your timing belt replacement, you should buy a cam seal, balancer seal, and balancer seal retainer, (prior models the balancer shaft seal could pop out on) also buy a t-belt, balancer belt, water pump, and accessory drive belts. You shouldnt need a crank seal, we usually only see those seepat higher mileages..also you shouldnt need a motor at 100k thats barely broken in on a honda, and you shouldnt need any more preventitive maintenance other than service work and timing belt. Replacing the 0-ring around the distributor is a good idea its cheap and isnt much work, But remove the dist. cap and be sure theres no oil inside the cap, which would be because of an internal o-ring to the distributor assembly in which you'll need a new/used distributor. Good luck!