General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord EX Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
killersoundz
Unregistered
Default 94 Honda Accord EX Starting Problem

Got a 94 Honda Accord EX that is really ticking me off.

Left the headlights on and the battery drained. Came out wouldn't start after jumping. Got a new battery. Still wouldn't start. Everything works electrically but when I turn the key to III it just won't crank at all. Not even a solenoid click.

Determined it was the ignition switch after pulling off the 7-P connector that goes from the ignition switch to the fuse box. I jumped the BAT and ST terminals and tada, starter cranks right up. Determined everything is fine mechanically.

Put a new ignition switch on today (what a pain!) and still no go. I can still jump the BAT and ST terminals just as the ignition switch would do and the starter cranks right over. What gives?

Another weird thing is the anti theft light on the steering column blinks now. Never blinked before. Seems to be plugged into the ignition switch harness as well because it shuts off when I unplug the 7-p connector from the fuse box.

I seriously have no idea and am completely clueless. Not a starter, not the solenoid, nothing after the ignition switch in the circuit because i can get the starter to crank.

I am thinking maybe it is the entire key ignition lock thing. But all that does is turn the ignition switch and it should start. There is a plug coming out of the ignition lock called i believe the 8-p connector and I have no idea what it does other then provide the ring of green light around the key hole. I would really like to find out though because that seems pretty suspicious.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Default RE: 94 Honda Accord EX Starting Problem

if you have a light blinking on the dash it sounds like an aftermarket car alarm....

Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM
killersoundz
Unregistered

Theres no steering column blinking light on stock 94 accord ex's?!?!

There was a stray wire under the dash that was electrical taped together but then was disconnected.

Just bought the car a month ago, never had any mention of an alarm. What does that tie into and how can I disconnect it!!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 PM

unless I am mistaken there is not factory car alarm on that car, I had a 94 EX and it had a light to the lower left hand side of the steering wheel (next to the cruise button) but it was never on and had a couple of disconnected wires so I assume it was aftermarket. As for locating it I'd just start tracing wires from that light and see if you can find the "brain box" of it.