General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 honda accord cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Default 95 honda accord cranks but wont start

I bought a 95 accord from my friend that her son had driven to school. The car had been sitting for about 8 months just being cranked as needed but not driven. We got a new battery and bam cranked and ran great for about 3weeks. I was running errands one morning before I was to take it for a oil change and check up. The car ran hot a few times and I stopped let it cool and then went on. After doing this approximately 3 times before I got to a mechanic I trust it just quit. I replaced the starter now i have a cranks but not start issue. We have checked and cleaned the plugs and wires. Checked the coil, distributor and the timing. Sprayed starter fluid in the proper place still nothing. It will seem to start for a spit second then makes a gulping sound and a little bit of white smoke comes from the air thing I sprayed the starter fluid into. Any suggestions ideas ANYTHING at all would be appreciated. I am not working right now and was depending on this car to get me back and forth to work. So right now i really need a cheap fix.PLEASE.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Running a car hot is very bad for the engine. In the future, when an engine runs hot, turn on the heat full blast to help bring down the engine temperature. You can also hit the a/c switch to turn on the cooling fans. Once the temp goes down, shut off the car and let it cool. Open the radiator cap and fill the radiator with coolant, or get it towed to a shop.

Since you overheated the engine, you can try a compression test on each cylinder. Also, remove the radiator cap and see if you get a lot of bubbles coming out of the radiator when you try to crank the engine.