General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord DX 2.3L - Head Gasket Endeavor

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a good video on how to torque the cylinder head.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:23 PM

You've all been very helpful, I wanted to give an update. I did the valve adjustment and put the valve cover on. Spark plugs in. All but one hose is hooked back up because it was replaced. I need to add oil, flush cooling system and put timing covers on. But, one major hurdle I have to get over before properly installing crankshaft pulley. 181 ft lbs of torque?? No impacts (I don't have one anyway). I do have the tool but was just wondering if anyone had any methods to suggest.

And lastly I have a vacuum hose that has an end missing it's home. It comes out of the top of the transmission but I can't find where it goes. Pic below

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord DX 2.3L - Head Gasket Endeavor-e447e831-b213-4dba-a876-8cbdbbe7fdc9.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A five foot piece of pipe over a breaker bar will give plenty of torque for the crankshaft pulley.

As I recall the trans has a vent hose that doesn't connect to anything; I thought it clipped into place somewhere.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roader
A five foot piece of pipe over a breaker bar will give plenty of torque for the crankshaft pulley.

As I recall the trans has a vent hose that doesn't connect to anything; I thought it clipped into place somewhere.
Perfect, got it torqued down. Found the clip for the hose I believe. Makes sense as I don't remember taking a vacuum hose off there.

I got it running. The valve train sounds beautiful so my valve adjusting went famously.

The bad: High idle at start (2000 RPM) and when approaching operating temp, the RPMs start pulsing between 1200 and 2000 and check engine light comes on. Not the 100% perfect start I hoped for but....

Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Get code and it will tell you what system is the problem. Probably something not connected electrically. It's almost unavoidable not to miss something.

good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Get code and it will tell you what system is the problem. Probably something not connected electrically. It's almost unavoidable not to miss something.

good luck
P0135 - Primary O2 Sensor. I've connected and reconnected. Check engine still on. Odd that it would go bad unless the overheat killed it.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM

This is a circuit fault on primary O2 sensor (AF sensor for SULEV) circuit; short/open in sensor, connector, wiring, or ECM. If you have a spare sensor, you could swap and see if problem lies in sensor or elsewhere. Note, this would show as short or open on the circuit legs of the sensor, if sensor is fault.

Suggest exploring Honda Shop Manual diagnostics for this code. Apparently fuse 6 (ECM) in under dash box can cause this problem. Seems unlikely since you have a code presented.

good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM

This is a circuit fault on primary O2 sensor (AF sensor for SULEV) circuit; short/open in sensor, connector, wiring, or ECM. If you have a spare sensor, you could swap and see if problem lies in sensor or elsewhere. Note, this would show as short or open on the circuit legs of the sensor, if sensor is fault.

Suggest exploring Honda Shop Manual diagnostics for this code. Apparently fuse 6 (ECM) in under dash box can cause this problem. Seems unlikely since you have a code presented.

good luck
Totally forgot I had a tool that can read the codes. I got P0135. O2 sensor. Replaced that this morning, CEL is now gone. But still get the high idle and pulsing revs when reaching temp. See video below. Vacuum leak?

Attached Thumbnails 99 Accord DX 2.3L - Head Gasket Endeavor-th_cam00173.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Look for a large air intake leak. PCV hose, stuck open PCV valve, brake booster vaccum line, etc.

Large air leak causes idle to accelerate, IACV closes attmpting to reduce idle, then reopens to recover idle, repeat.

Also can be caused by low coolant level on some models.

good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Look for a large air intake leak. PCV hose, stuck open PCV valve, brake booster vaccum line, etc.

Large air leak causes idle to accelerate, IACV closes attmpting to reduce idle, then reopens to recover idle, repeat.

Also can be caused by low coolant level on some models.

good luck
Already topped off the coolant. Air leak does not sound fun. If you tell me what's wrong, I can fix it normally. You ask me to find the source of the problem and I'm easily frustrated.

Any ideas on where I should start?

Thanks again, everyone has been so awesome here.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord DX 2.3L - Head Gasket Endeavor