General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor not getting power and fans stay on after engine is shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 01:55 AM
Default AC Compressor not getting power and fans stay on after engine is shut off.

I have a 2005 Accord Ex v6 with 240k miles. My compressor is not receiving any power to the coil. At the same time the compressor stopped working, whenever I would shut off my engine, the radiator and condenser fans would stay on for a few minutes. My refrigerant pressures are normal. I replaced my entire relay box including the relevant relays and fuses. I also replaced the positive battery terminal harness. The heat works fine, and my temperature gauges on the dash are reading normal engine temps. Any idea what might be the cause?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

So you are not getting power to the compressor. Have you checked to see if powers getting to the relay? If it is the check wiring to compressor if not check power back stream. Someone is good with electrical testing. I'm sure he will chime in.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Haha - I'm guessing that I'm the electrical guy.

If you have a volt meter, unplug the compressor relay and connect your volt meter to a good ground. With the key in the II position, 2 of the sockets in the relay box for the a/c compressor relay should have 12V. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda

If you have a volt meter, unplug the compressor relay and connect your volt meter to a good ground. With the key in the II position, 2 of the sockets in the relay box for the a/c compressor relay should have 12V. Let us know what you find.
You know you are. Lol. no one can walk others through it like you.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda

Reading 0V with the AC button on.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Verify your volt meter is working by touching the leads to the battery terminals. If the meter works, then connect the black meter lead to the - battery terminal. Then use the red volt meter lead on each of the four slots in the fuse box where the a/c compressor relay plugs in.

The reason I'm asking, is that 2 of the slots on the fuse box where the relay plugs in should have 12V. The 12V slots get voltage from a different source, so it is unlikely both are missing voltage, but not impossible. I want to rule out the easy stuff first.