General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
azslayer_1
Unregistered
Question auto tranny trouble

the other day i was driving and my tranny stopped working.I stopped at a light and took off and the the tranny shifted through all gears but shifted abnormaly.i then stopped at the next light and when i started to go i hit about 3000 rpm and lost the tranny.when i pulled over and parked i checked fluid,it was ok i then turned the car off and waited a few minutes then turned it back on,put it in reverse it went, put it in drive and it started going again.but only drove for a few sec and tranny stopped working again.it did it a few more times exactly like that.i hooked up a code reader and spit out p0740 i checked it out but dont understand exactly where to pin point the problem.could someone help me please!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

The code means there is a problem with the Torque Converter lock up circuit.
The Test needed is to hook up pressure gauges and do a TC stall test, this will prove if the TC has come apart.
Replacing the TC might solve the problem; however when the TC comes apart internally there is a lot of contamination that goes thru the rest of the trans.
It might be that the sump filter is getting clogged up and then when the car is shut off, the contaminates fall out of the filter enough so there is fluid flow again.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
azslayer_1
Unregistered

Where at on the tranny would i hook up the pressure guage at to do such a test.And if that is the case is there any way to flush out the contaminates out of the tranny while i have it out of the car that way i only need to but a tc and not both.This transmission still shifts strong and would hate to replace something thats not broke.My brother is a mechanic so labor is very cheap...like a 24 pk or so.So labor is not the issue.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azslayer_1
I have a 97 accord se with 177k on it...
From your earlier post. It's always better if we don't have to guess.