General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Trouble...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
gonecrazybacksoon
Unregistered
Default Tranny Trouble...Suggestions?

Ok guys here goes,
I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX with and automatic tranny. This afternoon while driving down the turnpike at about 70+mph, my car suddenly began to act as if it was in neutral (only it was still in drive). My car started to decelerate and my rpm's climbed as i pushed down on the gas pedal...so, I pulled over, restarted the car and everything appeared to be fine (the car accelerated like normal and ran normally). However, after work tonight, I went to drive the car again, and it did the same thing...now the speedometer is reading 0 and i cant seem to get the car out of first gear while driving...and the D4 light is flashing. Does this sound mechanical or computer/electrical? Any ideas/help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tranny Trouble...Suggestions?

In the DIY section there is a link for ACC 5th gen. There is a link to a site that gives direction on how to get CEL codes.

Just count the codes that the D4 light flashes. You can also post any codes the CEL flashes. It is most likely something electrical (like VSS), but post those codes first so we can give you advice.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
gonecrazybacksoon
Unregistered

Thanks ill look in that section to make sure I did everything right last time i got a code from the car. ill definitely have to check and try to get the code again... I got the code once about a year ago and called honda about it. They said that the car would be fine to drive with the code it was spitting out...i believe it was a 9....but ill go down to the car tonight and see if i can get the code again just so i can post it here to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
gonecrazybacksoon
Unregistered

Alrighty, I went out to the car and got the code. It's giving me a "9".A DIY code retrieval web page says this...

9 - CYP Sensor (Cylinder) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor
* invalid code for throttle body injection Hondas
** invalid code for V6 engines

I honestly have no idea what this means. Also, I don't really know if my carhas throttle body injection, soi don't know if it means that the code is invalid. Any ideas?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Did the check engine light flash 9 times or did the D4 light flash 9 times? Those are two different codes.

If CEL, then code 9 is for the CYP sensor which is in the distributor. On that dhost site that I directed you to look at there are pdfs of the shop manual for a 94 accord. Take a look at the electrical tests in there.

If the D4, then code 9 is fails to shift stuck in 1st or 4th gear. This is a problem with the shift solenoid valve B. The testing procedure for the shift solenoid on that dhost site too. I have read about people cleaning the inlet screen/solenoid where it is bolted to the tranny that could take care of the problem.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
gonecrazybacksoon
Unregistered

It was the D4 light that flashed and gave me a "9" code. I don't even recall the CEL flashing, should it have? I will check out that dhost site too to see ifI can find a DIY fix because I really don't want to have to take it in to a shop and pay a lot of money for a little problem...if thats all it is. Thanks, I didn't know that there was a difference between the two flashing. This site rocks!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM
gonecrazybacksoon
Unregistered

Update: the Dhost website led me to a manual that said this...

[IMG]local://upfiles/13686/1F1CDCE7245F4B32AB80ADF98C418E4D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

That is correct on the right part of the manual. The tests are on page 14-66 and page 14-45 gives you a general idea of where that sensor is located at.

Ignore my comment before about cleaning the screen/solenoid. I was thinking of a different component.