General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backed out of my driveway like an idiot, basically

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
ChristopherJ
Unregistered
Default Backed out of my driveway like an idiot, basically

Ok, this is going to be a really NON specific question. I had a weird experience in my own driveway this morning. I have driveway that can fit about 4 cars in it. I was the only one on my side of the driveway, and my other roomates were parked on the other side... one in front of the other. The one near the bottom of the driveway was parked really awkwardly so I knew right away that backing out would be a bit of a challenge. So I cut my wheel to the right to try to get my car partly on the grass to allow myself as much room as possible. When I cut my wheel, I noticed my front end of my car was pointing towards one of the parked cars. Is it possible that I hit that car? I didn't cut my wheel all teh way over, just enough to get my car a little farther away from my room mates. I tried to look at my car when I got to work, but there wasn't much time and I'm pretty worried. Since I was going backwards, it hadn't occured to me that my front end would inch closer to the other parked car. Since I was going backwards, is it unlikely that I hit it? I know it's a stupid question, but it's kinda bugging me since I was so busy looking behind me that I wasn't even seeing that my front end was doing this. I appreciate any help! I'm so ticked that my room mate had to park so strangely, leading me to get so close to the other car. Thanks to anyone who might know something about this. TO narrow it down for you, I basically want to know if I could have hit this other car. And if so, would it just be my bumper that hit it? My car was backing out at an angle because I cut my wheel to the right so I could back out without hitting the other car. Since I was going backwards and actually moving, was I moving away from the car or could I have swiped it unknowingly? Dumb question but I'll feel better once I know. My car is obnoxiously new!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Backed out of my driveway like an idiot, basically

New member in possiable trouble is what it sounds like to me...better get outside and look at your car to see if you did in-deed hit that roomates car...if you did Oh! Oh!....

Thanks for joining the forum even under these conditions...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

christopher, christopher, christopher..........ahy ahy ahy

First off WELCOME to HAF,,,,,

Secondly you are lucky that you asked this question in our forum , had it been a different accord forum someone would not have been so nice in the replies

thirdly,, My friend,, How can we possibly know wether you hit the other car from where we are sitting at,, It is something that you have to do visually,,,,

Just like WHEEL said,, get out anf go take a look ...Don't mean to put salt on a wound but that's the ABC of driving,, you thing you hit something ,first thing you do is

STOP, GET OUT OF THE CAR AND LOOK than you will know ...

Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
ChristopherJ
Unregistered

Well, thank you for bending the rules and being nice about this. I guess I should be more specific. I guess I was kinda asking from a "parking" stand point. I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew the mechanisms of a car and what would have to happen in order for there to be an impact. I have become so paranoid about this kinda thing and I guess I am very glad that this isn't a mean board because I knew this was a dumb question. I just didn't know if there was anybody that knew a lot about the "physics" of parking. You know, like if you do this- this won't happen.. kinda thing. Hahaha, alright. I'll try somewhere else, but thank you. Your advice is actually pretty good. I just hope that if there is damage that it will be apparent enough and not show up later once I'm over this. haha

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM

I actually think I know what you are talking about. You were turning your back wheels over so you could get the back-end of you car going down the drive without hitting? Right? Ok. I'm actually to try and help you here. Somebody correct me here, but wouldn't Christopher HEAR and/or FEEL any impact whether he actually saw it happen or not. So, Chris, did you hear or feel anything? I'm thinking that you probably had a very close call but it doesn't sound like you hit anything in this situation. I empathize with your dilemma because I am one to second guess stuff like this. Having a new car is a whole new world. I'm no expert but if you didn't cut the wheel ALL the way to the right, then the front end would only go forward to certain point before you straighten out. It's hard to know, but if you could see that your front end was NOT touching the car, then you should be all set. If you hit it, you would have had to back up to recorrect yourself, right? I don't know, I'm just spouting off ideas. There are some other forums that might be more specific to what you need. But it SOUNDS like you are okay. If you don't see damage when you check it out, I'd take that as a good sign that at least you didn't do obvious damage to your beautiful new car.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Buy the way That's The Law and your Rules of your Insurance Company...
WheelBrokerAng

Hi Desert
ORIGINAL: deserthonda

christopher, christopher, christopher..........ahy ahy ahy

First off WELCOME to HAF,,,,,

Secondly you are lucky that you asked this question in our forum , had it been a different accord forum someone would not have been so nice in the replies

thirdly,, My friend,, How can we possibly know wether you hit the other car from where we are sitting at,, It is something that you have to do visually,,,,

Just like WHEEL said,, get out anf go take a look ...Don't mean to put salt on a wound but that's the ABC of driving,, you thing you hit something ,first thing you do is

STOP, GET OUT OF THE CAR AND LOOK than you will know ...