General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes went out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 AM
FIEROgtFREAK
Unregistered
Default Brakes went out?

I have a chance to buy my G/f's old car from her dad for 200$. It's a 88 accord DX and the brakes went out. Im thinking i could get it and fix it. What do you think it is? I was hoping it was the Master cylinder but i havn't checked yet. It would sure save me money on gas seeing as how im driving my 81 Blazer righ now. What does everybody think?

Old 04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Default RE: Brakes went out?

I think that you should go for it if you think you can fix the problem. If the brakes have gone out, the only reasons are b/c there is a leak somewhere or the M.C. is not working. First i would check all the brake lines. Park the car in the garage and fill it with fluid and pump the pedal a bunch. Get out and check for leaks, and check very good. Check under the car, in the engine bay, by the calipers, by the wheel cylinders. Next remove the calipers and check for fluid around the pistons. Take the drum off and check for fluid in the drum and around the wheel cylinder cups. This should be the first thing, but i just thought of it. Check to make sure that when you pump the pedal that the push rod is actually pushing into the M.C. THe push rod should be connected to the pedal. You might be able to listen and hear the internal parts of the M.C. moving around as well. If you haven't found anything by now, i would change the master cylinder.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Brakes went out?

yea there isnt too much to fix on the brakes. its either the pads the lines or the master