General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Default Climate Control Issues

Hello there.
I have a 99 Honda Accord Ex. Latley the climate control has been playing a game of roullete with me, sometimes it will work, and other times it just won't. When it doesn't work it's usually in the morning and none of the lights will come on. If I turn on the heat, all I get is the fan blowing in the chilly morning air, which doesn't help for defrosting/fogging. The AC is the same. I have noticed that by the end of my work day (4:30) it's back on and ready to go. This is clearly going to be an issue with winter coming up and I'm wanting to fix it quickly. Can anyone tell me what's going on, specifically, or is it a "various things" issue? Someone please help and please elaborate. My car fixing abilities are learned on the fly.

Thank you.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad/loose connection at the back of the climate control module.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
Sounds like a bad/loose connection at the back of the climate control module.
So, perhaps just wires need to be replaced or does the whole module need to be replaced?

Old 10-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

You need to check the connector that plugs into the unit, probably have to do some disassembly to get it out.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
You need to check the connector that plugs into the unit, probably have to do some disassembly to get it out.
Ok, thanks, it'll have to be weekend check, but I will post pictures.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem may not be a loose connection in the back, but in the circuit board of the HVAC panel.

There is a fix where you solder a wire between two points on the board. I'm not sure if the problem is due to simply bad solder or a break in the connection as part of the circuit board.

I posted 2 videos.

Here is a video with someone having issues with their controls. Does your heat/ac look like this?

Here is how to access the panel.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jaydyn
Hello there.
I have a 99 Honda Accord Ex. Latley the climate control has been playing a game of roullete with me, sometimes it will work, and other times it just won't. When it doesn't work it's usually in the morning and none of the lights will come on. If I turn on the heat, all I get is the fan blowing in the chilly morning air, which doesn't help for defrosting/fogging. The AC is the same. I have noticed that by the end of my work day (4:30) it's back on and ready to go. This is clearly going to be an issue with winter coming up and I'm wanting to fix it quickly. Can anyone tell me what's going on, specifically, or is it a "various things" issue? Someone please help and please elaborate. My car fixing abilities are learned on the fly.

Thank you.
I completely forgot about this, so, before the climate control went out (way before, months ago), the clock was acting up. The backlight wouldn't come on, and if it did, the climate control would go out. I thought it was just an issue with the clock, I wasn't actually using the climate control, I just noticed all the lights would go out. Finally, the clock light just have up and never turned back on, and everything was fine with the climate control, until it started this up.
Does that help to point anyone in the right direction?

Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Your problem may not be a loose connection in the back, but in the circuit board of the HVAC panel.

There is a fix where you solder a wire between two points on the board. I'm not sure if the problem is due to simply bad solder or a break in the connection as part of the circuit board.

I posted 2 videos.

Here is a video with someone having issues with their controls. Does your heat/ac look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwicLUwBkPA

Here is how to access the panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Sarqc7PpA
The top one is definitely mine, thanks, I'll watch them as soon as I can!

Also, I know I said usually by the end of my work day, they come back on, but they did not yesterday, nor are they on today.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd treat them as separate issues right now.

The clock backlight was a common failure on those accords, so you may want to replace the bulb and see if that fixes that issue.

Here is a video on how to replace the bulb. You may want to pick up a bulb from the Honda dealership, or you may be able to find a replacement bulb of the same size from radioshack. Remove the old bulb with filaments, then thread the new bulbs filaments into the plastic base.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM

I see... Alright, thank you! I will let you know what I find.