General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clunk when releasing cruise with brakes, I'm lost!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Default Clunk when releasing cruise with brakes, I'm lost!

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any help; hoping for an easy fix.

I have a 2005 Accord EX 4dr 2.4L I4 with about 155k on it. I just had the dealer change tranny fluid, coolant, brake fluid, and install a Zerostart engine heater in the engine coolant drain port just above the oil filter. Some of these may be irrelevant, but these are the changes between no problem and problem.

When I got the car back, I noticed that when I just touch the brake pedal, there is a distinctive clunk coming from the frontish/passenger sideish area of the car. Just one clunk and I can feel it in the floor (nothing in the pedals or steering wheel). The weird part is that it only happens when the cruise is set; not every time I touch the brakes. Even holding the throttle steady and using my left foot on the brake doesn't cause the problem. It sounds like something hitting the floor or firewall.

No leaks or other noises. All fluids are full. Cruise actuator cable seems tight and solid.

What should I be looking for? Any ideas?

I talked to the dealer, but the are playing the "there is nothing we did to cause this" card... I am hoping I can fix this easily or go back to the dealer with more info.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Talking

Isn't it just amazing that the dealers do absolutly nothing wrong, and that's why when you get your car back-there's always something else wrong that wasn't there before you took it to them..

Simply Amazing

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah dealership broke my 80$ viper security remote then blamed it on me missing the drop box when I know that's impossible. But it sounds like you Maby have a caliper loose or the brake pad seperated , the metal from the actual pad. When was your last pad change?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM

About two months ago, I changed rotors and pads. I will check all caliper bolts to make sure nothing else has loosened up and make sure the pads are seated nice. Lug nuts are all tight.

I am not completely discrediting the dealership here...they may be absolutely correct that there is nothing they did, but I can assure you, the problem did not exist when I dropped it off. I haven't been on this forum long, so I can't tell if Wheel is joking or not.

I appreciate the replies, any other thoughts while I check the bolts? Why would this only happen when the cruise is set.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

I should also note that shortly before the rotor and pad replacement, I changed all four struts and springs and had new tires put on. All has been fine up to this point.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Maby check your bushing underneath the car. And tie rod ends and just look over for anything loose

Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Update:
I just lifted the car and checked the torque on caliper bolts, lower control arms, tie rods, lower and upper strut mounts. I also double checked the lug nuts. All good.
I didn't get to the inner lower control arm bushings or sway bars...yet. Thanks for the suggestion jrox; I can't rule anything out.
Pads look good and are seated nicely.
The cruise control actuator seems to move freely and the cable is tight and secure.

I took the car for a ride earlier today and tried to replicate the problem without using the cruise control with no luck. I tried high and low speeds, full steering lock in either direction, forward and reverse, and some different levels of breaking. It literally will only happen when tapping the break to cancel the cruise control...at any speed. Using the cancel cruise button does not make it happen nor does adjusting cruise speed.

Sorry for all the posts on this. I have another appointment with the dealer on Monday to have them look at it, but if I can find or hopefully fix the problem...Awesome!

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Let us know if they say that they fixed it after your done with the appointment..lol

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM

I've been able to rule out the cruise control as being part of the problem. The actuator is working properly and I can see it cycle with no movement in the cable or noise. Unless there is another mechanical part to the cruise system, that shouldn't be what is causing this.

As far as I can tell, all suspension, brake, and wheel torque specs are good. Bushings all look and feel good.

Its clear that going from loaded to unloaded quickly is causing something to shift, but I don't know where else to look.

I did not get it back to the dealer yet. I am still lost...