General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch prob in 88 Accord DX

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
shordinges
Unregistered
Default Clutch prob in 88 Accord DX

I have an 88 accord dx that has 220,000 miles. i dont know when the clutch was last replaced (at least 2 years ago) but the other day as i was driving though town it worked fine. when i was leaving a store i put it into reverse just fine and backed out of my spot, but when i went to drive forward it wouldnt go into any gear. i have never had a problem with getting my car into gear. the clutch pedal still felt the same as the last 2 years that i have had it. i was finnaly able to get into gear ( with a little force, i know its bad for tranny) and all the way home it was hard to get through the gears. luckly the entire way it didnt grind at all (only grinds when i try to put it in reverse) as i would drive i put in the clutch and coasted a ways, when i did this the car did not drop in RPMs at all and with the clutch in and i give it gas the car would accelerate. of course i parked it as soon as i got home and havent drove it since. i know clutches need to be replaced every so often but they show wear over time. i have never heard of one working fine then with one short shift away compleatly gone. is there a linkage that may have broke or some kind of adjustment? i didnt hear anything when it wouldnt go into gear as if something broke. i just drained my bank account by paying for tuition so im hoping i dont need a new clutch. thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Clutch prob in 88 Accord DX

ALWAYS check the fluid!

Report back afterwards for more help.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
shordinges
Unregistered

thanks for the idea, i will go jack the car up and check it. i will get back to you in a little bit

Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
shordinges
Unregistered

well when i tried to check it i accidently pulled the drain instead of the fill so i went to town and got more oil. i drained all of the old out and refiled it to the top of the fill plug and it still doesnt go into gear. when the clutch is pushed in i can see it pulling fully on the arm in the engine compartment. the clutch just wont disengage