General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

COMPLICATIONS.....PLEASE HELP

Old 08-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Default COMPLICATIONS.....PLEASE HELP

I have had my 97 accord lx 4 door for about 6 years but lately the problems seem to be piling up. I have tried reading some of the postings on this website and others but am looking for specific responses for my car, if any one out there can help or has been in a similar situation. My biggest problem right now is th car seems to be leaking water into the trunk when it rains from rear passenger side wheelwell but i cant seem to pinpoint the exact location of the leak due to not being able to reach into the but have isolated it to the wheelwell. I took the car to a body shop and told the guy the problem and he claimed to have sealed a few areas but the problem still persists and am now running out of patience and money. There also seems to be a leak from the same side into the back seat . I'm not to sure if the two leaks are related because when i used a hose to spray the wheelwell, water seemed to get into the trunk in very small amounts from the tire groove on the inside that was sealed and supposedly fixed and it took a while to actually show and there was nothing in the back seat. The second problem is I get this cluncking sound from my front passenger side wheel. At first i thought it was probably the bearing but i got that checked out and it was ruled out. My second guess was the shock/strut but I had all 4 replaced about 4 months ago to stock ones from when my car was lowered and my mechanic doubted that was the problem. It seems more noticable when people are riding with me in the car and I make normal turns and when i'm alone and go over some bumps on that side although it is less likely to happen when it's just me driving. Lastly, both my front/rear bumpers seem to be sitting low and look like they're eventually gonna fall off. i took the car to a body shop and got quoted $300 to put them back in place. i dont really know if thats expensive for body work but I thought it was pricey for the job i wanted him to do. I know there are some clips and bolts that probably need to be tightened and replaced and have infact found detailed descriptions on this site on how to replace the front bumper which is great and was hoping someone could explain where the bolts and clips are for the rear bumper and help explain how to do it myself if possible. Thank you in advance and really looking forward to all your help.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: COMPLICATIONS.....PLEASE HELP

have you tried replacing the tail lite lense gaskets ?? the ones on the fenders not on the trunk.........

there is a write up on our DIY section

as for the noise , you have to raise the car and chk the suspension make sure nothing is loose or worn

Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 AM

do you notice that clunking sound accelerating? I know you said you notice it while turning.

Sounds like it could be a worn CV joint.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 PM

I don't think the leak is coming from anywhere in the taillight area but I could be wrong. The water leaks a little through the seal from the inside of the wheelwell in the trunk and also into the back seat on the passenger sid but I cant seem to locate where that leak is from..any ideas. I am going to check the gaskets anyway as you mentioned and any further help would greatly be appreciated especially about the lak into the backseat and what maybe causing it.

As for the clunking noise I dont hear it when i accelarate but only when I take some turns and when the car is loaded with ppl. Still think it may be the CV joint?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM

has the car been wrecked, the leak may be coming from the back glass, the taillights is the most common leak for the trunk.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 PM

it sounds like an outer CV joint to me. Hard to diagnose people's interpretations of sounds over the 'net, but CV's make a lovely clunk like that and an outer CV joint would do that in a turn. I have an inner CV joint going out and it clunks under accel.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM

what do you think are my options to test and see if the problem actually stems from the CV joint?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

window seals all ok,, ? door seals ok ?? if the rear glass was ever replaced perhaps it was not sealed properly ,

Old 08-15-2006, 01:35 PM

to test the CV (outers I believe) take the car to a parking lot and turn in as tight a circle as you can, one way then the other way, do full circles and slow speeds and listen, if you hear a clunk or a clicking noise it's you're CV joints.... now if that checks out okay take the car in a parking lot again, start into a slow rolling pace then stomp the throttle to the floor for just enogh to start accelerating then let off the throttle all the way, if you hear/feel a clunk or a noise then it's most likely the CV's too.... the other option if it's not a CV, check your motor mounts and make sure they aren't worn, my buddy had a prelude that would act similar to yours due to a worn rear motor mount.. amake sure the rubber is good on it etc....

Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 PM

thanks everyone for the help. I checked and i dont think its the CV joint but i will eventully figure it out. I just moved and while driving here I noticed some other poblems that i will post as a new topic. Once again thanks.