General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJH
Also when I replaces the passenger fuse panel, I found that it had two relays and what looked like third large green relay on the back of the panel.
Maybe the driver side fuse panel has relays behind it too.
The three relays in the back panel of the passenger side fuse/relay box are the power window relay, accessory power socket relay, and rear window defogger relay.

The driver's side fuse/relay box also has some relays on the back panel, such as starter cut relay, reverse relay, and turn signal/hazard relay.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJH
Imagine turning the combo light switch to the "parking light" position and nothing happens, same effect as the "off position".

But when you turn it to the "On" position, everything seems to be working like normal, with the exception of illuminated cruise button (push in on dash), the clock illumination, and the shift selection illiumination at the shifter, and odometer illumination.

I just replaced both switches anyway, and there is no difference.
The clock illumination may be due to the bulb. See this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...lighted-45246/

Check the dimmer switch, as referred to in post # 15 in this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...s-15141/page2/

Then if still nothing change, then see my post # 9 and # 12 in this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ol-unit-24311/

Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

Success!!!!

I followed the Red/Blk wire under the steering column and found it was worked on by someone else.

It had been cut, and an Orange/White wire was spliced in its place with with Orange/White and the remainder of the Red/Blk wire coming out the other end.

I just tested it by connecting the dangling Red/Blk from switch and now we have parking lights!!!!!!!!

But why would someone have done that? The after-market stereo has wire coming out of it. My they are related?

What would be the bennifit of connecting the orange/wht and the rest of the red/blk?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

There are an orange/white and a blue/white hanging from under the stereo.
Those white have been striped and are just hanging.

Also, non of the other light have made an improvement,
The odometer illumination, the clock illumination, the cruise button light (push-in on dash).

Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

The dimmer still dims the gauges and a/c *****, but it is a little faint compared to some other cars.

I'll read your post about the dimmer switch again and maybe pick one up at the junk yard.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJH
Success!!!!

I followed the Red/Blk wire under the steering column and found it was worked on by someone else.

It had been cut, and an Orange/White wire was spliced in its place with with Orange/White and the remainder of the Red/Blk wire coming out the other end.

I just tested it by connecting the dangling Red/Blk from switch and now we have parking lights!!!!!!!!

But why would someone have done that? The after-market stereo has wire coming out of it. My they are related?

What would be the bennifit of connecting the orange/wht and the rest of the red/blk?
Great on tracking that part down. If the orange/wht wire is the one coming from the combo light switch connector, then it would be related to the high beam circuit. I can't think of any reason why someone would have done that. Maybe it is just some scrap piece of wire of the same color and not related to the orange/white wire coming from the combo light switch connector.

Check that your high beams work though.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

The clock illumination may be just due to a blown bulb. See my post above.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Somehow power is not making it all the way through the Red/Blk wiring that is used principally for illumination of the various components.

Check to see if there was a hack and splice job with the Red/Blk illumination wire that was used for the radio or at some other wire harness coming from the back of the driver's side fuse box.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

I Spoke too soon...

I found what was blowing the #10 (10amp) circuit in the passengers side fuse box.
The Red/Blk wire was crossed with the Orange/White wire, causing the fuse to blow.

I replaced the fuse and everything seemed fine for about a 15 minute drive, then it blew again.

So, I undid the splice someone had put there some time in the past, and I repaired the wires.
= Red/Blk to Red/Blk and Orange/White to Orange/White.

Now the dimmable features of the care, like clock, GAUGES, and other lights in the cabin that are dimmable, will not light up if the parking lights or the headlights are on.

The High beams and the rest of the interior lights that do not dim, they remain full brightness, no matter what position the combo light switch in is, "On", Parking Lights", "Off".

For example:
Imagine the combo light switch is in the "Off" position. The Odometer (backlit), the clock, and warning lights in cluster, like "Seatbelt reminder" and "Maintenance Required" lights are ON in full brightness. Normal, right?

Then the sun goes down:
You switch the "Parking Lights" or "head lights" to the "On" position.
And away goes the backlighting for the odometer and clock, also the analog gauges are not lit at all. The Aftermarket stereo dims a little, and the warning lights on the cluster are same as before, "Maintenance Required" in full brightness.

I am having a hard time understanding the diagrams, though they are helpful.
Last night, the dimmer switch was working, so I don't think it's that.

What could be going on? What should I check. Is there a safe way to patch this issue?

Thank you so much for all the help. We have come a long way and I feel like we are really close to resolving this whole thing.
Thank You.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

I'm going to check that RED/BLK around the stereo right now.

Quick Reply: Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control