General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant and eletrical issues with my 96 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Default Coolant and eletrical issues with my 96 accord

I was just wondering if you guys could help me out determining the issues with my car.

First, I always have to put coolant in my car at least once a week. the radiator, water pump, thermostat and some hoses have all been replaced in less than 3 years. Theres no leak coming from anywhere I see except a little bit of oil which I hear is fine. What could be the issue?

I also have an issue when I shut the car off. The heat stays on even when I remove the key from the ignition.

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

When you say the heat stays on, do you meant the blower motor that pushes air through your vents stays on?

As for the coolant leak, it has to be going somewhere. You are either burning coolant (white smoke from tailpipe), or it is leaking somewhere. You can have the radiator pressure tested to find the source of the leak.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

yea the blower stays on

people were telling me I could have a bad head gasket.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you notice white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, the I would suspect a head-gasket leak. You may also notice oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. If you have to add that much coolant, you should notice something coming from the tailpipe. Where do you see oil exactly?

Coolant hoses are routed in a lot of different places, like the throttle body, heater core, etc. Try to look around to see if you can find coolant leaking. Check where the main hoses attach to the radiator and engine block. I know when my radiator had a crack, I couldn't see the leak. They are plastic and can fail. Get the radiator pressure tested.

The blower motor staying on is strange, and does it happen all of the time?

To properly diagnose the problem, I would unplug the blower motor relay in the under dash fuse box and test the 4 pins on the fuse box. I don't know the orientation of the pins, but I can tell you how to figure it out. All you need is a volt meter. You will have to test for voltage or continuity to ground.

Pin 1: Will have continuity to ground when the fan speed switch is set to 1-4. It will not have continuity to ground when turned off.

Pin 2: Will have 12V when the key is in the II position. No voltage when the key is out.

Pin 3: Will have 12V all of the time

Pin 4: Will have continuity to ground all of the time.

Let us know which pins behave properly or not. That test will determine what is causing the fan to stay on.

If the fan keeps running without the relay in there, then there is a wiring problem that will be tricky to figure out.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am hoping the OP means the radiator fans are staying on when he turns the car off. I would pressure check the cooling system and see if it holds pressure and if not what is leaking. When my head gasket blew on my 95 Accord it never smoked or coolant mixed with the oil. It just kept getting air in the system and the cooling fan did not coming on until I shut it off.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 06-17-2010 at 01:32 AM.